Help

New Teachers

Not excited

>

sblief

Not excited
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got a ELA job last friday- my very first teaching job. Its at a nice private school, and I should feel happy, but I don't. Since I got the job last friday I've eaten about 3 total meals and have barely slept. I've been crying almost everyday and have to convince myself that this job is good every second of every day.

I know it's a good job, and everyone there seems nice. I just don't even feel the tiniest bit excited to start teaching. I wasn't even excited setting up my room.

I feel like I've made a terrible mistake.

sblief is offline   Reply With Quote

historyguy88

Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

2 thoughts:

1. Look back on all the things that made you excited about becoming a teacher in college and focus on those. Sometimes looking back on why you wanted to helps. It does me, at least.

2. Talk to your admin about your concerms

Is it the school or not wanting to teach anymore? Maybe a public school would be best suited to you?
historyguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

Old 08-09-2016, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's really just not wanting to teach now. The schools great, I just am not excited to teach whatsoever.

Not sure if I'm just not handling change very well or if teaching really isn't for me.

I couldn't go to my administration and tell them this.
sblief is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Overwhelmed
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why did you get into education? There had to be some reason that you got a degree. I've been dong this almost 20 years and I still get excited about school. Do you think you could feel overwhelmed by all you have to do? There really is a lot. It can be hard to get started.

I agree that I would not go to an administrator. I basically try to avoid them like the plague.

Is there another teacher you could talk to? This is weird but I get really excited by office products and teaching materials. Can you find something to be happy about? I love to get my room decorated and ready to go. Maybe start there and see how you feel.

If that doesn't work, hey, it's not for everyone! You got hired in a great school, so obviously they see potential in you. Baby steps!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

I know the feeling...
Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was about to teach, but got cold feet about 1/2 month ago, and now I wish I had not.

I think that people sometimes get a form of performance anxiety. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. In a sense, the 2 months off in the summer time is both a blessing and a curse.

I am sure everything will be fine. These are the same sorts of feelings many people have when starting a new job.

Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Your biggest job now
Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Much of what you're feeling is common. The truth is that I questioned how I could possibly perform well in any job I've I had at first. Every single time. It was normal for me to lack conference and feel unsure of my choices. I learned that my attitude changed my feelings and I was successful.

Your biggest job now is to change your attitude. If you want to be successful that must happen. This is the real world. Every ride we get on does not promise a thrill a minute but it does offer a paycheck. It's time to "adult".

Make a list of every positive thing that happens to you at work. Do it EVERY day. Be on the look out for them and you'll spot them.

Make positive comments to coworkers about the school and students.

DO NOT talk to the admin about your feelings. This isn't the dorm and admin is not your buddy.

Avoid complaining to coworkers at all costs. It takes years and to know who you can trust.

Don't expect lots of approving pats on the back and words of encouragement. Interaction with your P needs to be about your work and not about your feelings. Adults are responsible for their own positive inner voice.

When your students arrive I bet you find yourself enjoying your job.

Your happiness is entirely up to you.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote