Help

New Teachers

Rubrics

>

spunky7

Rubrics
Old 08-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I've been posting on here every day lately, but as a new teacher I feel like I have a million questions!

I'm an ELA teacher and I want to use a rubric for my students' journal entries, writing prompts and papers. I found some rubrics that are aligned with the common core that I am going to give them for different types of writing. I didn't dare to write my own because I felt like I should get them from someone more experienced. Anyway, my question is, how do you convert your rubric grades into a grade you can put in a gradebook? I just feel like giving a student 50% because they only got a 2 out of 4 in many of the categories doesn't seem right. That didn't make sense to me because even if it's not perfect, they still did the work. How have you used rubrics in the past to grade students?

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

One way to score
Old 08-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Look at what goal or standard you are concentrating on (the objective that students are striving for). Score the entire journal entry, but only give a grade on that one standard. Is it analyzing a non-fiction piece? Say that it's worth 3 out of 4. That's a 75%. If they did poorly on mechanics, give it a 1 out of 4, but don't give it a grade. Do the same with other elements of the rubric. Circle the one element you are grading (make sure they are aware of your objective) so that they are know on what their grade was based. My students always had the rubric ahead of time and stapled it to their papers when they were turned in. Hope that clears things up a little. You will find that you won't be able to grade every element of every writing piece students turn in. As long as students are aware of the objective, this way of scoring writing is perfectly fine. Otherwise (speaking from 20 years of experience) you will drown in grading of student writing.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Writing
Old 08-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to just give a completion grade for journals. I did not grade "free write" type writing because I was trying to encourage elaboration. So basically, if a student only did half a page, I would give half credit. Now, our curriculum changed and I no longer can do journals

For other types of writing, we were to use our state domain writing rubric for everything. We rewrote the rubric in kid-friendly language and assigned a point title depending on the assignment. Now, we use a rubric that is part of our curriculum. I basically highlight some areas that are not in the paper and minus points for that. In reality, the rubric is so thorough that I only focus on the three or four areas that I focused on in class.

So say you have five domains like: content, conventions, evidence, etc. with five columns. So you have twenty-five boxes. I might make each box one point. I really am not crazy about using the rubrics, I prefer to use a specific checklist of things I taught like:
-Heading-1 point
-Topic sentence (2 points)
etc.

I feel like kids just want to look at their final grade on the rubric. With the checklist, they can self-assess before turning in the paper or "fix" errors!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote