Help

New Teachers

Furniture and classroom gear ideas

>

buyeverything

Furniture and classroom gear ideas
Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey! I'm a new teacher and I have a deep love of spending my pay check on my classroom, but I have an equally powerful love of good deals. I would really like to switch my classroom from individual desks to tables. Any ideas on where I could look to buy used classroom furniture? I've looked online but honestly the used it coming up abou on par with a new table anyway

Additionally I would like things like legos, knexs, books, wood building blocks and so on, any ideas where I could get these reasonably priced?

Thank you!

buyeverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

have you tried a donors choose project?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The beginning of the school year is a great time to try to fund a project. Have you talked to your principal about changing your seating? Is there a K class that has tables but would prefer desks?
Jojobean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 08-13-2016, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure about the tables. When we did the switch it was a school decision and the school purchased them so I would check with your p.

As far as Legos, blocks Etc. check children's consignment stores, yard sales, online Facebook groups ( usually towns have an "online yard sale group"), and asking around people you know if they have any toys their kids have outgrown etc.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 08-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And for books.... Find out if your local library has a book sale they often do and you can get books at a very reasonable price.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Grants
Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow, tables can be pretty expensive. Did you ever consider trying to write a grant on Donorschoose.org ? Or another website. I have two nephews who love legos and have spent a small fortune on them. I know sometimes they get them from relatives who grown children. I've found some cheaper block sets at T.J. Max's and places like that.

I know that some teachers have family member "make" them tables and furniture for their classroom. Did you consider asking around?

Also, talk to your school custodians to see if any "extras" are in storerooms in the district. I think we have some kind of warehouse where they store things. Another idea is find another teacher who has what you want and ask them where they got it. They might even want to trade with you?

Do you check eBay and other auction sites for the tables? I've found some cheaper ones online, but the shipping always is huge. Happy hunting!

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote