What do I do with my higher-level ESL students? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ESL/LEP

What do I do with my higher-level ESL students?

>

lenguages

What do I do with my higher-level ESL students?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have one group of 2nd grade ESL students who, I feel, really don't need me anymore! They, with the exception of one, are all reading at or above grade level, and will probably exit from ESL next year. However, because they are still considered LEP, I still have to provide services until the end of the year. And I'm not sure what to do with them!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a student who is not even beginning to speak English, even after being here since November. I'm working with him mostly on vocabulary at this point - flashcards and games - hopefully something will click soon!

Any advice?

lenguages is offline   Reply With Quote

Bellapointe

Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you able to work with the advanced students separately from the beginner? You could probably work with the advanced students on grade level tasks for the rest of the year. If they keep up, great! But by having them outside of the mainstream program you'll still be to address any issues that may come up. My ELLs are must challenged by writing tasks so I find that I have to work with them more slowly in that domain.
Bellapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

Princess303

Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For ELL students reading above grade level, I assign a novel that they can read independently. I meet with them weekly to have a literature discussion of assigned chapters. Students are engaged in listening and speaking of novel responses. We discuss vocabulary in context and other reading skills. Students write predictions and/or summaries, about favorite part, sequence of events, etc.

They can read to each other or read silently as I work with lower level group.

The advanced and adv. high students are not pulled as often as beginners and intermediate.
Princess303 is offline   Reply With Quote