Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Are you avoiding the election?

>

Lakeside

Are you avoiding the election?
Old 08-14-2016, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This article asks if the ugliness of politics lately is making teachers avoid the subject of government all together. -

http://www.fastcompany.com/3061993/m...o-teach-civics

So are you having mock elections and stuff this year, or staying away from the subject?

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

historyguy88

Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made a post about this in the vent. Government is juniors and seniors only at my high school, our administration has mandated that we have to talk about this election. I've been working to draw parallels from this election and other historically controversial elections(the 1944 election etc). I'm working and preparing to talk about it as indirectly but still as directly as is possible
historyguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

msk5

Yes
Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I truly don't know what to say to my fourth graders. Trump is a loud mouth fool who bashes women, Hispanics, Blacks, and Muslims. He is constantly cursing so you can't replay those speeches in your classroom. However, his wife is a great example of why you should be careful about posting pictures on the internet. They just might show up one day when you want to be First Lady

On the other hand - Clinton is not trust worthy either and seems to be caught in several episodes of stupidity. I have a hard time believing that she didn't know what emails are classified or that it is alright to use your home server. I also question some of her and Bill's past dealings in both Arkansas and the White House. I'm not sure if we can stand another 4 years of Clintons.

I really don't want to be in a discussion about the pros or cons of either candidate. It is just a sad state of affairs!
msk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I am not teaching anymore
Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

so thankfully I don't have to discuss this in class.
I don't know what to do. I have always voted in every election. I do not really like Clinton at all. I have zero idea what Trump is about. Living in NJ where he has done business and knowing about some of his business deals in NYC leaves me shaking my head. Everything I hear him say during the campaign is refuted with statements and actions he has made in the past, starting with "I will make everyone say Merry Christmas" while ALL his years and years of sending cards with Happy Holidays. He stated a few years ago he was an independent but leaned more towards Democrats, he gave compliments to Hillary and during an interview stated his was totally ProChoice even late term abortion. Was he lying then? Lying now? No, I know people can change their minds, but about everything?
I will disclose this to put it in perspective, Trump said he believed in giving jobs to small businesses. My DH did work for Trump with a signed contract, after the work was finished to his satisfaction he refused to pay. Said I have lawyers on retainer. You will have to sue me for the money and they will keep it going until you can't afford to sue anymore. He did the same to all the other small businesses he used in this project. Yes, I am bias.
Who is this man???
funkster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
funkster
My DH did work for Trump with a signed contract, after the work was finished to his satisfaction he refused to pay. Said I have lawyers on retainer. You will have to sue me for the money and they will keep it going until you can't afford to sue anymore. He did the same to all the other small businesses he used in this project.
“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely,” Trump said. “That’s what the country should be doing.”

I am not defending all of his business dealings because I couldn't possibly know all of them or even want to. He absolutely could have been wrong in some. However, having dealt with contractors on jobs, I can absolutely believe his reasoning for not paying or not paying in full. Some people do bad work, incomplete work or work that should have been completed months before. With the amount of work he has done, it's no surprise at all that these issues have come up.

Ivanka added, "But it would be irresponsible if my father paid contractors who did lousy work. And he doesn’t do that.”

I personally think this is great. How much money does the government pay out for horrible work, incomplete work, late work. We need someone to make people do what they're actually paid to do and stop bleeding government money all over the place.

Quote:
Everything I hear him say during the campaign is refuted with statements and actions he has made in the past, starting with "I will make everyone say Merry Christmas" while ALL his years and years of sending cards with Happy Holidays.
Where did he say that? I see where he said “we are going to start saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again," meaning we won't have to be afraid and politically correct but can say Merry Christmas freely and openly as we should be able to. He never said he will make people say anything.

On abortion, "I've become pro-life,” Trump continued, “and the reason is, I've seen -- in my case, one specific situation -- but numerous situations that have made me to go that way.” I believe he did genuinely change his view on this.

As far as whatever party he identifies with, who really cares? Listen to his policies and plans -- actually his whole words not the parts pulled out and twisted by the media in order to manipulate people into doing their bidding -- to determine whether you could support him.

Last edited by 0123456; 08-21-2016 at 12:43 PM..
0123456 is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Teaching the election
Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To answer the OP's original question: I think that this year teachers have a reason to be more cautious than in other recent elections. Some may disagree with me, but in my opinion, there's some really ugly stuff going on out there this year, and yes, things are being said that I wouldn't want to explain in a classroom setting. I will, however, teach how elections work and the importance of voting in a democracy. I suspect that we'll still have a mock election, but I intend to strongly curtail conversations about who they 'vote' for and why. I already had a third-grader make an unfortunate comment last Spring, and at that age it's based on what's said at home. I had to deal with it swiftly and strongly, though, explaining that making a comment about any group of people could hurt others' feelings. I suspect that I will need to be very alert for that to happen again. As a teacher, I always defer to parents when a child asks who I'm voting for - my go-to comment is that it's my private decision and that they should talk to their parents about the issues and priorities that are important in their family.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Confirmation bias?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Um, missed the part that it was done to the satisfaction of HIS representative who signed off on it?
BTW- on this project he used several different local businesses. He contacted them saying "I believe in supporting local businesses" He did not pay any of them a single dime. Yup-they are all lousy at their jobs. Every job turned out bad. Yet, none of the jobs have been redone of repaired by another contractor. Yet, they are all still in business doing well and getting good reviews. They also know each other and laugh about being duped by him. Cost of doing business.

*I don't think people really know who Donald Trump is. I don't know who he is. He speaks in such vicious terms I just can't separate the "shock talk" from the true ideas. I don't know who Hillary is either. Scary.

Iceland is looking more like a lovely place to live.
funkster is online now   Reply With Quote