Help

High School

Pacing

>

ELA24

Pacing
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a great start so far!
I'm pretty stressed out, but I'm guessing that's normal with the beginning of any new year.

So, I want to know what everyone's method with pacing is. I want different thoughts on how people approach their timing with lessons, and switching from activities.

I have a block class of 90 minutes: 45 minutes for English I and 45 minutes for Creative Writing. The bell obviously rings, and lets me know when I should separate the two, but I'm having trouble with over teaching English I.

How do you pace, or manage your time when teaching?
I'm a brand new teacher, and I want to get the hang of timing sooner rather than later. Thank you all!

ELA24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

NOT for LA
Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But when I design a pacing plan for teaching math, I try to set up a guideline for when I should target some learning outcome. Usually, I would put the last week of school (3 to 5 days) as review. When I first started to teach, I would look at info like what TE might suggest, I would decide which standard(s) has to have more time. As for the order in which I present the material, I would try chunking standards for the sake of memory retention. I usually decide from the most basic to the more complicated. You can't teach fractions until they know its representation first. Assessment also affects my pacing! It doesn't work all the time mind you. All this is done if I were working in isolation but if you have to teach in lockstep with other teachers, it's different. I prefer planning with other teachers but we don't have to be in lockstep to cut down on cheating.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

ELA24

Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry that I am barely getting back to your response... it's been a bit hectic with planning, and unexpected meetings...

I understand you. I plan with other teachers, and we all work on the same things, but differently...

I've noticed some classes take longer to understand a lesson than others... do you just divide the time according to what you think is best, or do you sometimes give a class more time if you feel they need it for a certain lesson?
ELA24 is offline   Reply With Quote