Help

Gifted Education

Schedule

>

teacher4

Schedule
Old 09-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many hours do you pull or are you self-contained? I teach 3rd and 4th grade gifted. I see students once a week for 3 hours. I am having trouble letting students have choice because I am trying to teach so much. This is my second year teaching gifted and not sure I am doing it correctly.

teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do pull-out and see my students twice a week for about 2 and half hours each day. I try to break each session up into at least one group activity, one whole group activity, and then time for independent work/projects.

Because my students often come from different classes, they tend to "trickle in," so I have their folders sitting out on their tables and they work independently on folder work until everyone arrives. Then we do a group activity followed by a group discussion, or a whole group activity followed by a group extension, and then they work independently again.

For independent work, each student is working on something different and goes at his her own pace. Whatever they don't finish before the session is over, they put back in their folder for the next session.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work with 3rd-5th grade and provide pull-out and consultative services. During the consultative service portion I push into the classroom or pull out depending on what the teacher needs me to do, it is a cooperative program. My direct service is usually in 1 hr. blocks of time 2-3 times per week. I am with students 4 1/2 hrs. a day and the rest of the time is spent doing case management work.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Independent work
Old 09-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you approve independent projects and do you give any criteria?
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Vicary

Every day
Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I first began teaching elementary gifted kids in the eighties, it was an enrichment program. I had three different schools and saw students once a week for 60-90 minutes.

In the nineties my district's gifted services expanded. I had one school only, and saw fourth graders every day for about 2 1/2 hours, and the same with fifth grade. They were pulled from their regular class for math and ELA at the same time the other students were having those subjects. I was the teacher of record for report cards, parent conferences, end-of-year testing, etc. I had about twenty students at each grade level. Some were identified in reading, some in math, and the majority in both subjects.

Vicary is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I assign the independent projects based on the unit we are studying. For example, when we studied sharks, each student chose a different species of shark to research. They were required to find out where the sharks live (geography and habitat--deep water, near shores, etc), what it eats, a physical description, how it reproduces, life span, etc. They then had to write a poem about their shark and include all the required information as part of the poem. Younger students were given a template for their poem, older students had more poetic license to be creative.

Other times, I have had students create prezis for their project, or choose a historical figure and create a facebook page for them. Basically, they are all given the same assignment/product to create and the criteria I expect, but they are given a choice regarding the topic they are researching. Yes, I approve the topic they choose before they begin their research. The projects always include some kind of creative element, not just a 5 paragraph report.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

sparklinteach

Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do pull-out and my students come to me one day a week for the whole day. I teach a different group of 2nd graders each day.
sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote