Help

ESL/LEP

Push-in Support - Help?!?!

>

WordFountain

Push-in Support - Help?!?!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a GenEd teacher. Last year my school overhauled our ESL program. We've had A LOT of turn over and NO consistency. So.... They hired someone that lacked experience with both the age group and ESL overall. Enthusiastic - yes. Helpful? Not so much. I tried to suggest things (mini lessons, my plans that she could modify, graphic organizers, etc), but the teacher just seemed overwhelmed and lost. I feel for her (it stinks to be thrown in that situation) and my students (because they're not getting the full support that they need).

Here's my question: What does typical Push-in support look like in an elementary classroom?

I'd like to be more helpful and proactive this year, but I'm stumped. (Also, we do not share any common planning time)

Thanks in advance!!

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Support
Old 08-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally, I hated push-in. In the climate of my school, I was treated not as a certified, qualified teacher, but like the personal servant of the teacher with whom I was with.

How would I have fixed it, had I had the power?
1. Co-teaching training so that the EL teacher and classroom teacher can build a good professional relationship that notes and respects the expertise of each, as well as to help teachers plan efficiently together.
2. A set schedule, similar to a special electives teacher. Then the teacher would know the EL person would definitely be in their room to work with their students at a set time each and every day!
3. Common planning; barring that, I always sought out meetings before school with the teachers I needed to meet with. You should know their essential question/standards, the vocabulary they will be teaching, and maybe 2-5 big ideas the teacher really wants every student to know. Then you can either a) plan to pull your group aside to focus in on what the teacher needs to be taught, b) front load for upcoming lessons (highly recommended, as it gives students some background info walking into new concepts), or c) teach simultaneously with the teacher and be available primarily to your focus group.
4. Agreed upon accommodations or remediations (I.e. Adjusted grading scale, modified assessments, shortened assignments, etc.).

I've taught EL resource for six years. I'm currently a primary grade bilingual teacher. Being an EL resource was 100x harder than what I'm doing now. ot sounds like you have feat intentions and empathy for your colleague. Thank you for caring and looking for ways to improve education for your ELL students.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

I hate push in, too
Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the culture of our school, I end up as a highly paid teacher's aide, and am always asked to work with the lowest kids, who aren't necessarily ESL. When I try to change this, by suggesting co-teaching, planning together or (heaven forbid!) actually getting me to work with the language learners, I find myself having a "chat" with the Assistant Principal who is very open in her opinion that ESL is a waste of time and the only way the kids will learn English is through exposure.

I just grit my teeth and deal, so I am hoping you get some good ideas I can steal!
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your insight and ideas. I agree push-in isn't ideal. I get my schedule next week so we'll see.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-20-2016, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not an ESL teacher (I'm a sped teacher) but my experience with push-in has also been that I've been treated like a glorified aide. I HATE push-in and only applied to resource jobs because of that. Anyway, our ELL department was just told at the end of last year that they'd be "full inclusion" starting this school year (previously, they were a pull-out program). Both of our ELL teachers left because of that, but the new one seems pretty excited about it. It sounds like she's basically going to go in and teach oral language development to the entire class for a small period of time each day. I work in a very low SES school, so even our kids who aren't ELL tend to be "language poor," so it should be beneficial for everyone. If your new teacher isn't really sure what to do, I would suggest connecting her with an experienced/good ELL teacher, even if it's at another school in your district. She can observe this teacher and ask for help with getting her own program off the ground.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Princess303

Old 08-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my second year as ESL pull-out teacher for grades K-4. I attempted to serve 84 students last year. YIKES!

So, I was considering push-in for Kinder and 1st grades. I was able to establish a good working relationship with these teachers last year. Hopefully, this will work.

I have 30 years of teaching experience and can collaborate with classroom teachers to help all students.

I want to use this time to also model for teachers how to better serve English Language Learners. Wish me luck!
Princess303 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

a suggestion
Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You both might want to take a look at Making Content Comprehensible (the SIOP model), a search will get you some background info if you want to invest in one of the books. It would put you on the same page for presenting and supporting curriculum.

Your ESL person might also find some good support via colorincolorado
http://www.colorincolorado.org
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

lenguages

Push-in
Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I actually like push-in! I feel like the students learn more not being pulled out as much. And besides, most of the planning is done for me! Since I don't have much time to plan with the other teachers, I've learned to be very observant when I'm in the classroom, trying to see where the teacher is going and check to see what my kiddos are struggling with. I have asserted myself as somewhat of an expert in ESL, because I am certified in it, so the teachers pretty much respect what I am doing. I tell them upfront who I'm going to be working with, and do everything possible to have my kids sit together, at least while I'm in the room.

I also do a lot of pull-out, so I have the chance to really reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. But the push-in gives me much more insight into what they are learning and what they need than the pull-out.
lenguages is offline   Reply With Quote