Career Decisions

Leaving job after a week

>

whattodo

whattodo

Leaving job after a week
Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, long story short, I made a mistake. I've taught in the school system for twelve years (pre-k-2nd grade). I took a leave for medical reasons and to focus on working for myself from home for two years. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it flared up really bad. There were days I couldn't even walk so I just had to stop. Since then I've been feeling much better.

Recently I wanted to pick something up part time working with kids, but not with the school system because the work load is just too much. I took a job at a preschool that happens to be working with one-year-olds. It's awful. My back has been killing me since day one from constantly bending over and my hands are sore and having spasms from lifting the kids. I literally stand at the changing table for twenty diaper changes and then feed the kids and pick up toys in between. I didn't know my body would react this way so fast.

Anyway, last Friday I got offered a position for another job I applied for. It's teaching reading at a learning center. The hours are better and physically it will be a lot less strenuous. Reading was my favorite subject to teach. This job pays $15 an hour while the daycare pays $8.50. I feel bad about leaving this soon because it's hard for them to find and keep people (The place isn't under the best management). I feel like at this point I have to do what's best for me and I don't want to pass up this reading job. Also if I take the reading job, I need to come in this Friday for training so I would have to take the day off from the preschool. I'm not sure I'll even be able to give them two-weeks notice. Would you leave this soon?

thinkerbell12

Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you have to do what's best for you. You have to have quite a bit of stamina to work with little ones like that, so I can see how your RA would be in full flare! It's so important that you take care of yourself. It seems like the reading position is a better deal all around for you. I would go for it. The preschool will find someone else I'm sure.
thinkerbell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
whattodo

whattodo

Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you thinkerbell (I love that name)! I appreciate your response.

pausebutton

Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Health comes first. I hope the new position works out
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote
whattodo

whattodo

Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you n8484. You're right. My doctor keeps telling me I only have one body so I better take care of it.

dee

Absolutely
Old 10-04-2016, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Take the new job.

I don't have RA, and that job would do me in!!

New job sounds perfect!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 10-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Take the new job! The pay alone would make it worth it to switch. Your health is the most important and the new job will be a much better fit.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

No question!
Old 10-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Take the new job. Leave on good terms, just tell them the truth.myou can't physically handle the demands of the one year olds. Thank them for,the opportunity and give whatever notice you can.

Enjoy your new job! It sounds perfect!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
whattodo

whattodo

Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks everyone! I'm handing in my resignation tomorrow and I don't even feel bad about it. Today they totally pissed me off. My schedule is from 8-5. At five today I still had seven kids (out of ratio as usual) so I asked what I should do and the person in charge goes, "Oh no, you don't leave at five anymore. You stay all day now." How do you just change someone's schedule without telling or asking them? They don't know what I have to do when I leave there. The center is opened until seven and there's no way I'm working from 8-7 when I can barely make it to 5. At six I still had three kids so I called the office and said, "Look, I really have to go now." She came and got the kids with an attitude and then didn't even answer me when I said good night. I'm done. Thank you.