Future Teachers

Placement Anxiety

>

SignedOut

SignedOut

Placement Anxiety
Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not in student teaching yet. I'm currently in a placement similar to student teaching with less hours and fewer lesson plans that I'm required to implement in the classroom. I'll also be evaluated a couple times by the CT (Cooperating Teacher I'm placed with). This is a general evaluation based on my overall performance, as well as, how my lesson plans go.

I've had other placements similar to this. Every class in elementary education has field hours, and a number have lesson plans and evaluations. I have not felt like this in any of them.

At this placement, I feel a general feeling of malaise that I was hoping would go away after I built rapport with the CT and assistant. I ask questions during appropriate times (when they're not busy) and try to make conversation, but they're not interested. Questions are answered with short answers or by pointing me to resources in the room. They have only asked me a couple questions: one being a closed question with one answer and the other about a project I was required to work on during my time there. I've spent numerous weeks and hours in the class at this point.

The thing is: I won't get to see my evaluation. It's sent directly to my professor and supervisor (who I don't see for this placement, but will be involved when I student teach). I'm nervous about the evaluation since I'm unable to get a read on what they're thinking about my performance. Even when I showed them my lesson plans (the college professor liked them), they said nothing about them being fine or anything positive or negative. They just pointed out a couple things I'd have to do during implementation, which were things already in the plans.

I haven't said anything to my professor, because I was hoping it would improve with time. And, what's happening is in the realm of the subjective and abstract to a certain extent since it's a lack of behavior rather than concrete things said or done. At this point, I'm hoping for the best, but worry there may be a bomb dropped in my lap if the evaluation is negative. I'm sure the professor will want to speak to me then. There has been no mention about us getting to see our evaluations; they're kept on record. The other teachers in previous placements showed me my evaluation (even though it was supposed to be anonymous). I don't think that will happen in this case.

I'm not sure if I should do anything about this or just go with the flow and see what happens?

Tounces

Evaluations
Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand your anxiety about being evaluated. In my experience, if you have been evaluated, you can see the evaluation. Can you go to your college's job assistance department? I'm not sure what they are called. But I do know colleges like to advertise how many of their graduates go on to get hired after graduation. Find out where yours is if you don't know. You can look at your evaluations and have someone in that department give you advice on how to make it look better if needed. In my first placement I didn't get to see my evaluation or go over it either. This practice should stop in my opinion. You want to be able to work on any areas in order to improve. So I don't understand why you can't see it with your CT. But your college will have those records and you do have the right to see them too. You could take additional classes or workshops to show you have worked on improving areas if needed. I also think if someone evaluates you, it would help to ask questions to clarify comments or to give them information about why or what you think as well. The CT can use the student teacher as a way to grow and learn too. Good luck.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote