Career Decisions

Asking for a grad school letter of recommendation

>

April0320

April0320

Asking for a grad school letter of recommendation
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am a 3rd grade special education teacher at a title 1 school. This is my second year at my current school, and my fourth year teaching total. I want to go back to grad school for a Masters in special education. My school of choice requires a recommendation letter from an administrator. The letter is due two months from today.

Both my principal and vice principal are super busy. Like, eat lunch after dismissal and leave school at 7pm busy. In a school of mostly un-tenured teachers, their days are full of observation cycle meetings at this time of year.

I'd like to ask one of them for a recommendation letter, but I am not sure if it is appropriate to do so through email. Should I request a short meeting with one of them to make my request in person, or would an email suffice?

Thank you!

Sariana

Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Write the letter(s) yourself and then ask them to endorse or edit them. This is a common practice everywhere else, and it takes the pressure off busy people. They can choose to write their own letters, but that would then be their choice.

Whether to ask in person or via emails depends on your relationship with them and your school culture.
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Yep!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wrote my own and had the P sign.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 10-28-2016, 12:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had admin like that and she wrote the letter right after I asked, quickly....it's worth it to ask. I had wanted to ask her over the phone but ended up emailing and asking, she responded to that(not my call).(she was at another school) I would say asking in person or by email is fine....I was at an "email all day all the time" type school so an email would be appropriate...you could catch her less busy w an email. Use your best judgment...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote