Do any teachers on here adjunct at night? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Do any teachers on here adjunct at night?

>

LuketheDuke

Do any teachers on here adjunct at night?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if there or any teachers on here who adjunct a course or two in the evenings at the their local university or community college? If so, how does that work for you? I just wanted to get your opinion on working extra on top of a full-time job and how to manage time for yourself.

LuketheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

What class?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My friends who have taught studio art or some kind of music class enjoyed it. They had very little time for anything else but day job/evening job/sleep/cram everything in on the weekend. They did enjoy the students. There wasn't much take home work or tests.

My other friends who taught Science/English/Mathematics basically hated it. Didn't matter if you taught community college or university. They only got intro/100 level classes, and it was brutal.

Tired adults who have to take the classes and need it for graduation. Adults have no qualms about letting you know how unhappy they are with your teaching style and or grading. Especially when they are writing a check for class.

You can think "buck it up butter cup", but I know the CC by me and the university I went to, the Department heads really do read the end of semester critiques of the class by the students. Fair or unfair, your next gig depends on those reviews.

For non art related classes, you need to figure this out time and moneywise...(almost everything in studio art is done during class time)

Office hours and availability-how much will that eat into your life? Anything you do at home means you are working for less money.

Gas/travel time

Wear and tear on soul factor.

My retired high school math teaching aunt did both. She said she made more money tutoring high school students a few hours on the weekends, than teaching university calculus for a semester. The universities pay adjuncts squat. It's like subbing. People do adjunct because they have their PhD and want to get their foot in the door.

Also factor in evening school obligations like conferences/all shiney happy people are required to show up for the school fair type stuff.

Being an adjunct can work depending on your motivation for doing. There are easier ways to make side money. But if you have your PhD, and want to get into a university setting it's the only way to go. Where I live, everyone except people in skill trades needs a PhD for even CC jobs.

HTH
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Whoa! Thanks for this update!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wasn't even considering this, but in the back of my mind I always wondered. I have a dual credential and currently teach with my multiple-subject (elementary setting). Great update. I know a Kinder teacher who is an adjunct at night for a CC but is bilingual in Spanish. She teaches Pre-K classes in English, but she was considering teaching in Spanish, when I last saw her. I always thought knowing two languages got her in the door
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote