ESL/LEP

Vietnamese resources

>

mom2acd

Vietnamese resources
Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am an ELL assistant and I have an 8th grade Vietnamese student who I help everyday. He has almost no English skills but is, obviously, expected to participate in all classes except social studies. We modify almost everything for him, which is fine. However, there are things he really wants to do but can not. How do I find Vietnamese resources such as videos? I have googled everything I can think of but I can not find anything that I can use. Does anyone have any suggestions? Some topics we are working on is air quality, natural resources, Edgar Allan Poe, and health related topics. We show him many pictures and in science he does all the hands on projects. I want to try and find things he can study at home or in the classroom in his language so he can fully understand what is being discussed in class.
I do understand that he is suppose to be full inclusion with English, however, there are times and subjects he needs to understand in his own language.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you so much!!

Mom2acd

mom2acd is offline   Reply With Quote

elletraengi

Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.uniteforliteracy.com/ will read certain books in Vietnamese, however the content is more for primary/elementary grades
elletraengi is offline   Reply With Quote

mom2acd

Old 11-17-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much!! I am getting on it now. He hasn't been to school full time since he was in second grade, and he did a short stay at our school in his 6th grade yr. He had such a bad attitude though, that his mother sent him back to Vietnam. He is back for 8th grade with a little better attitude. He needs these early books. I just saw that they may be for a younger reader but they do not look babyish. He has a short attention span as well so these shorter books may be just the perfect thing for him! Thank you again so much!!!
mom2acd is offline   Reply With Quote