New Teachers

Not sure what is the best thing to do

>

grade for

grade for

Not sure what is the best thing to do
Old 10-29-2016, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher ( graduated two years ago) and two months into my first contract. Now sadly I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with the school I am working for. I have 18 students in my class, 10 with IEP's and 5 that need assistive technology for reading and writing. Now sadly I have a Teachers Aide but due to her student always in a fit, she is never in class and most of my IEP's become violent with things don't go their way. Now as much as I am aware that sadly this is the field I entered, I sadly have no help because of "budget" and the principal is either never there or when I send a student to the office for violence ( currently ignoring cursing due to so much violence and picking battles) she sends them back to class after 10 mins. Now I, like i said, am 2 months into a contract that has 60 more days left and yet I go into work everyday feel dizzy, nesaus, angry and just not wanting to be there. I am not sure if I should just suck it up and make it to the end of the contract, apply for stress leave or just blatantly quit.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

kerteach2

Mentor?
Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did this school assign you a mentor? I'm assuming you have someone that is helping guide you along your first year. All new teachers in my district are assigned a mentor that helps them with a variety of things.
If you don't have one, then I would think either speak with your department head if you have one or your principal. Do you have a union? I would go there before the prince.
It sounds like you are understandably overwhelmed and stressed out. Being that you said you only have 60 more days to go, I'm assuming your contract is for 1/2 a year. You need to ask for help from someone.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is this a general Ed class or a special ed classroom? Elementary, middle, or high school?

I think you should look in the special ed board, make a few posts in there and see what kind of guidance you can get there. Even if not special ed, they should have some good advise for meeting all those different goals and some ideas for classroom management. It sounds like no learning is going to take place unless you can get management under control.

Without any more information, I would say look at how you are teaching. I would definitely try to have them engaged in relatively easy to manage activities at stations. Arrange the classroom so their are separate areas for workstations, and less interaction between students, but so you can easily see from where you are located. Thinking something like 3 or 4 groups, one with you at a central table for instruction. A computer group, and another group doing some self guided practice activity (worksheet, hands on practice). Short time periods so there isn't time for them to get in trouble.

Definitely find a mentor if you don't have one. Your assistant is a one on one? You can't rely on that, but if you can find a way to get her student back in the class and successful (enough to not have a fit). Do you have a reward program for the students? Short enough time period for them to earn rewards and get them? Maybe computer/ipad time each block? Sometimes just 5 minutes is enough to motivate some students.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote
grad for

grad for

Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do have a mentor but she is sadly now acting as vice principal/ special ed. resource therefor no longer able to really help plus the principal took away our time together so that i could get help in other areas such as how to properly observe students for evaluations. Most of the time I am on my own. The principal sadly is no help when i send students to her for violence or inappropriate language she sends them back 2 mins later no consequences, heck today i was suppose to be in a meeting all day to get help with planning based on the school boards requirements and she cancelled half of it for a whole other meeting that i was not prepared for. I am on contract till Christmas. I am just kind of at my wits end but dont know the best choice or how to go about it.

broomrider

You need to know more information
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

about possible consequences if you resign before the end of your contract. Sadly, some states have laws that allow for the cancellation of a credential if a teacher leaves the position before the end of a contract. Losing your credential will substantially affect your career choices.

You might contact the local union or association and ask for some guidance, but they may not be willing to speak to you if you are not a member. You could also call the credentialing office at the state depart of ed (or whoever offers teacher licenses) or your district personnel/human resources office. You don't have to tell them your name or specific situation.

It sounds like you are a regular ed trained person placed in a special ed classroom. From what you describe and without knowing the principal's point of view, it seems the prince is out of her depth in applying consequences to your population. It may be that the "you can't suspend sped students without due process" has her stuck. I'd do some research into what kinds of consequences are available for dealing with behavior problems in sped students and how to go about the processes and share the info with her.

You can check with the special education administrator for your district to get the information. Make if for your background knowledge rather than the principal's--never throw your administrator under the bus! You might ask the principal if she's OK with you consulting with the sped department of the district for more support for you. Don't go over people's heads, ask for approval for getting help.

Being new you do not know the politics of the school and district and can have painful discoveries about unintended consequences.

Without more information about your setting, age group, class expectations, and current behavior programs it's very difficult to make other suggestions that might be useful.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote