Help

Future Teachers

Heavy Workload?

>

livluvteach

Heavy Workload?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I am currently a student intern, but I was wondering, what is the workload like for new teachers? I have heard that first year teachers have a lot on their plate. I just want to know what to expect so that I can mentally prepare for it.

livluvteach is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Honestly
Old 10-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The workload is really hard for me to get used to. I'm a special education teacher and only have 8 kids. But each of those kids has a different program that they follow. So I'm planning 8 different lessons for each kid, all day everyday. It's just hard to get used to.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I think it can be overwhelming
Old 10-04-2016, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but a lot depends on how you use your time and make your priorities.

I was overwhelmed but I realize now that I brought a lot of it on myself. I was trying to be a perfectionist. I spent way too much time at school and WAY, way too much money out of pocket not just the first year but for several years...

Every one has different obstacles in any position and grade level.
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote
whatever
Old 10-04-2016, 05:31 PM
This message has been deleted by whatever.

gardener5

Old 10-15-2016, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love what I do and don't want to be discouraging...BUT, teaching is a very demanding job. Every teacher (especially the first 3 or 4 years) has a huge work load. I have taught for almost 30 years and I still feel overwhelmed and stressed at times. I take work home with me and work after school and for a few hours on the weekends ALL THE TIME. I continually struggle to let things go and balance school and my personal life. I try to set time limits for myself on the time I spend working at home. I just haven't found a way to get it all done within my contractual day.

We have so much that we have to do and more and more is being added every year. In elementary you will be planning for reading, writing, word study, math, science, social studies. A few of our tasks- planning lessons, finding resources, preparing materials, creating assessments, grading, planning intervention, enrichment, parent emails, conferences, scoring and entering data, helping students with social conflicts, Rti, various meetings, duties, technology issues, and on and on. Our work is never done so we prioritize and do our best to manage time efficiently.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

perrbear16

Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's absolute insanity & I come from a management background which I thought was hard. This is the hardest thing I've ever done. Lesson plans take me the whole weekend, I work 12-13 hour days AT school, more once I get home looking up things I can do the next day/following week, pretty much a full day on the weekends grading/inputting papers, constant meetings, conferences, data to complete. It's the craziest thing I've ever done & unfortunately, will probably quit at the end of the year. I've never felt so much stress & anxiety in my life.

Sorry to be such a downer. But if people would have been more honest with me, I wouldn't have gotten myself into this mess. I do think I'd like being an aide/para more, but can't afford that salary.

perrbear16 is offline   Reply With Quote

metap

Wake up call!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You will never get used to the workload. I have left sped and I actually have a life. I can go out to eat, go shopping, spend time with family without thinking about data collection, IEP's, student progress monitoring, etc. Happy Days are here again for me.
metap is offline   Reply With Quote