Help

Career Decisions

Does anybody else fear...?

>

LuketheDuke

Does anybody else fear...?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Let me first start by saying I love teaching students of all ages. I would prefer to teach adults, but the job market for teaching children is much more realistic, even though it is a more challenging environment. I've held a lot of part time jobs teaching students of various ages, but my lack of teacher certification has held me back from obtaining full-time employment in a public school. That's why I decided to go back for a second master's in teaching, and complete student teaching as part of the degree.

But, does anybody else that if K-12 teaching not working out for them?

For me, I feel that if I can't get a job teaching or if I don't finish my certification, I don't know what else to do with my Liberal Arts degree?

At this point in my life, retail and restaurants is not a option, but unfortunately, I don't have a backup plan.

LuketheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Old 12-03-2016, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think a lot of teachers (especially ones that use these forums) feel this way even if they have been in teaching for years or that did leave teaching. There is always going to be that hidden fear or doubt about finding a teaching job. I felt the same way when I was in school and even looking for teaching jobs. When I decided teaching wasn't for me, it was very scary because I didn't have a back up plan and I had no idea what to do with the degree I had now. So don't worry. You aren't alone.

Although I am not teaching, I do know that the only way you will know if teaching is right for you is by getting experience teaching even if it is student teaching or substitute teaching. That is what I did and that's how I realized teaching wasn't for me. You said you are doing student teaching for your second master's and I think can use that experience as well as field experiences to see how you feel about teaching, the workload, the lifestyle, etc. Take some time to do a lot of teaching experiences then see how you feel. I recommend substitute teaching over student teaching since it is just you teaching without any influence of supervisors and cooperating teachers.

As for a back up plan, you can still find jobs with what you have. Just look at the transferable skills you have to whatever career you are interested in. After leaving teaching, I found it hard getting retail or restaraunt jobs bc I have my masters. However I eventually discovered tech and have made the career switch to a career that makes me happy.

If you need a back up plan, I recommend taking some time to do some soul searching of what your interests and skills are then looking for careers which have most of what you are looking for.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

LuketheDuke

Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done substitute teaching, and lots of it, including a long-term sub position for 3 months.

I don't want to end up in retail or restaurant jobs.

What did you do to strengthen your tech skills? Did you return to college or self-learned?

This second master's degree is draining me, but a public school teaching career is a means to an end. I've lived paycheck to paycheck for way too long.
LuketheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Old 12-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah I can understand what you mean about getting your second master's degree. It was a battle just for me doing my first masters and I was just relieved when I finished up my coursework.

I didn't go to college to learn tech skills. Most people in tech are self taught and some don't even have college degrees. There are tons of ways to learn coding and tech skills. Coding is such a hot skill these days that there are tons of resources. Some you have to pay for while others are free. There is no right or wrong way to learn these skills. It just boils down to how you learn the best. What I did is a mix. I did some paid courses for the basics, but I am self teaching myself in certain programming languages.

If you want to know more about tech stuff, let me know and I can help you out.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote