Teacher News & Opinion

School choice

>

kitekrazy

School choice
Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnQu8iRiVYU

I agree with it. It can reduce classroom sizes. Schools should also have the right to choose.

The problem with the conservative and liberal views on public education is they are both wrong and clueless. It's convenient to blame unions and tenure.

The typical conservative argument is old tenured teachers not doing their job. Most of them do. That argument is like saying since a black man stole my wallet, all blacks steal.

Cookie cutter solutions don't work. This teacher who taught in CA for 28 is not like a teacher who taught in Maine for 28 years. Experiences in geographical areas are vastly different. Testing scores can vary like in CA where students come from a non English speaking background.

If you watch this there are some potential half truths.

There is also a big piece of the puzzle missing here called administration. I think most teachers could tell you that this an area of greater incompetence than teachers. These administrative certificates are going like hotcakes to the younger inexperienced teachers.

For the teacher there is very little support. It's becoming a one sided job with no support from community or administration. Morale is quite low.

kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Geography is surprising!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I live in Maine and work in a school that is 40% ELL. Our schools are on average, 30% ELL in Portland, with more than 60 languages. We don't have bilingual programs and materials to go with -- simply too many languages. We are very different than rural Maine, and probably different than many parts of California. Schools in Lewiston, Maine are about 25% ELL with many of the students of Somali background.

I do agree with much of what you say.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote