Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Help students with blending sounds??

>

3monkeys

Help students with blending sounds??
Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your best strategies/activities to help students with blending sounds? I have a small group of kindergartners who struggle with this! Especially with the first sound--for example the word "cap"--we will stretch out the sounds, but when they blend them, they ALWAYS leave off the first sound and say "ap." I am on the struggle bus with helping them blend ALL the sounds. Any help would be appreciated!! TIA!

3monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried having them tap the sounds? Touch your thumb and pointer finger for the first sound, your thumb and middle finger for the second sound, and your thumb and ring finger for the third sound, then blend them by moving your thumb under the three fingers. If they don't have the dexterity to tap, you can do it by having them tap on the table. I did not come up with this. It is from Fundations.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

magnetic letters?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have them build the word with magnetic letters, and have them push the onset to the rime and they read it. I also have them switch the beginning letters to make new words.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Elkonin boxes
Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try using elkonin boxes. There's lots of videos on youtube explainng how to do it. Here's one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NwrkzJNk0
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Elkonin boxes
Old 02-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are also lots of freebies available online. You will probably get the best results if you add "pdf" in the search box. Also check out homeschool website freebies. Measured Mom and From Playdough to Plato have lots of good stuff! Also search using "phoneme segmentation."

There is a highly structured tutoring program that has volunteers work one on one with students. They teach blending by having a child touch his arm for each sound in descending order with his other hand.

RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

phonological awareness
Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If kids are really struggling with blending, you might want to give them a phonological awareness assessment. you can find some online just through googling.

Once I had a first grader who could NOT segment. i gave her an P.A. assessment and I discovered that - no wonder she couldn't blend- she couldn't rhyme! We backed up and started with what she did know and worked up from there.

Once a kid is ready to blend, I agree with PP, tapping words and Elkonin boxes work wonders! I will add that using magnetic letters to "build words" also helps!

jov

Fcrr
Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Also check out the segmenting and blending activities on the Florida Center for Reading Research website.

http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/stude...ctivities.shtm
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

A different approach
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You might need to do the opposite of onset-rime with those students and start with letter slides. (Letter slides are the initial consonant sound with the vowel sound.) It helps students focus on the beginning sound. You blend the sounds for the letter slides first. Then say the final consonant sound. We do a physical gesture while we are blending, too. We touch hand to opposite shoulder. While we blend the sounds for the letter slide, we slide from shoulder to elbow. Then we tap our hand when we say the final sound. Next we blend the sounds slowly stretching out the vowel sound as we slide our hand from shoulder all the way down to hand. Finally we say the word.
i.e. /ca//p/, /caaaaaap/, "cap"

If you are interested in a phonics program that uses this approach, check out Reading Horizons.

I hope that I was able to help a little.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for all of the suggestion! Much appreciated!
3monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote

ahatz

Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You could show the children the idea of the "ap" word family by writing out new words using different colored markers. For example, in the word cap, the C could be red and the rest of the word could be black. Visually children will be able to see the beginning sound has its own sound and then you blend that to make the full word.You could also have them write it out or add their own letter to the family and create a word family.

ahatz is offline   Reply With Quote