found a hurtful student note

>

harriet vane

harriet vane

found a hurtful student note
Old 02-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

I am in my 5th year teaching, but have been struggling with classroom management in my 7th grade Language Arts class due to a large group of boys who are all best friends and all hard to rein in. I fee like I'm constantly reacting impatiently, and would love to have a more positive relationship with the class. (Advice on this would be helpful, too.)

Today, I found a note that one of my quiet, hardworking students doodled to herself (and then dropped) about how my class is the worst class of the day, probably because I'm trying so hard to keep everyone engaged and under control. This is a student who does really well, has a lot to contribute, and works hard. I feel like, in different circumstances, we might have a really constructive teacher-student relationship. Should I talk to her about the note? Pretend I never saw it? Apologize, and say that her English class is my hardest class of the day, too?

SwissTeacher2

Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a middle school remedial teacher and some of my kids say they hate my class and me. I know in this instance it's hard to ignore the note because it's from one of your better students. However, middle schoolers aren't really in touch with their true feelings. Most of my students love me and my class but hate reading and many can separate those things. Some cannot. Two of my classes are unbalanced with heavy hitters and it's like night and day. My 3rd period students have an enjoyable learning environment whereas my 6th period students know they have to tune out the obnoxious misbehaving children.

I would not address the note because there's nothing that will really change about the class. Our students need to understand that sometimes the class makeup is going to be crap.
SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
harriet vane

harriet vane

Thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear this is a pretty normal situation. Rather than addressing the note, I'll maybe try to do a little additional reaching out to this student and the other who consistently come ready to learn and do well.

Fenwick

Old 02-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
...I fee like I'm constantly reacting impatiently,...
Can you describe what you mean "reacting impatiently"?

Quote:
Today, I found a note that one of my quiet, hardworking students doodled to herself (and then dropped) about how my class is the worst class of the day, probably because I'm trying so hard to keep everyone engaged and under control. This is a student who does really well, has a lot to contribute, and works hard. ...
This type of student falls into "silent majority" - students who show up, do their work and don't complain - the kids we thought we would be teaching when taking our methods courses. Since you found the note (as opposed to her delivering it to you) any approach would be unsolicited. She may feel you invaded her privacy. Consider making note of the note (double talk) and treat it as an observation. The way to "talk to her" may be to explore methods to eliminate the goof offs so she and others can learn without unnecessary disruption.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Spoofyone

Spoofyone

tomorrow they'll forget
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Middle school is nutty - I teach 8th grade , I am constantly reminiscing about my old classes and I do not remember doing anything! I was just as annoying along with most of the class. Don't beat yourself up. Just laugh along with them all the way to Summer! When they play you play and when they are ready to work you will be too