Help

Future Teachers

What to do before student teaching?

>

cmchickens

What to do before student teaching?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student, just finishing up my degree in Elementary Education. I went to school online, which worked well for me. I have no more courses left to take and I have passed all of my exams. The only thing I have left to do is student teaching, which I will start in September. Unfortunately, because of the way my terms lined up, I couldn't start student teaching any earlier. So I have five months with nothing to do but wait for student teaching. I would like that time to be productive in some way, perhaps to boost my resume because I have no experience yet. Or to improve my skills in the classroom. I was considering getting Google Certified, but to my knowledge none of the local schools use Google classroom. Does anyone have any ideas for things that I could do while I wait? Thank you!

cmchickens is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-11-2017, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Find ways to work with kids in formal or informal settings. Volunteer as a tutor, or to work in an after school program, or as a coach, or with Scouts or 4H or Sunday School. You can get a lot of experience that way.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Subbing?
Old 02-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here in NJ you need 60 college credits to become a certified substitute.
If you can, that will be a great opportunity to work with kids and learn about various schools and districts, as well as get your name out there to the people that make the big decisions!
Working for a tutoring company like a Huntington Learning Center would also give you the experience of working with a variety of grade levels.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

Absolutely!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Find summer school programs or a university/community college that has programs geared towards younger students. Work with students at a summer camp. Lots of great opportunities there. There are lots of summer programs that aren't just summer school but are activities to keep students engaged in a program of study. I really enjoyed my experiences working with students over the summer and it helped remind me why I enjoy teaching.
mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Brightside19

Before student teaching
Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It would be a great idea for you to get involved in an afterschool program if you can. Here in Maryland I worked for a company called Celebree for three years helping as an assistant teacher. I found it to be very fun and it gave me knowledge that I will defiantly be using in my future classroom. I would also look into trying to becoming a substitute teacher if you can. I know the regulations differ from state to state but I have had many friends who loved substitute teaching and it even lead them to future job opportunities.

Brightside19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katydid_123

work with kids
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Find a job that works with children and fits around your schedule. Their are tons of different things. Daycares and After-school Programs. One thing that I do is work at summer camp during the summer. It is something that enjoy, I get payed,and it helps with my resume.
Katydid_123 is offline   Reply With Quote