I emailed Mitch McConnell about my concerns of Betsy DeVos. Here's his response - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teacher News & Opinion

I emailed Mitch McConnell about my concerns of Betsy DeVos. Here's his response

>

TheGr8Catsby

I emailed Mitch McConnell about my concerns of Betsy DeVos. Here's his response
Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

in case you're interested...
Quote:
Dear Mr. "Catsby";

Thank you for contacting me regarding President Trump’s nomination of Betsy DeVos to serve as the United States Secretary of Education. Hearing your views helps me better represent Kentucky in the United States Senate.
The next Secretary of Education will be charged with overseeing our nation’s education system from pre-kindergarten through higher education to ensure our nation is effectively educating the future leaders of our nation. Specifically, the new secretary will be charged with implementing the Every Student Succeeds Act, which was enacted to replace the broken No Child Left Behind law, restoring much of the decision making to states, local school boards, teachers, and parents, as well as addressing important issues such as college affordability.

One of the Senate’s most significant constitutional responsibilities is providing advice and consent with respect to executive nominations to ensure the nominees meet the high standards expected of those with the privilege of leading our executive branch agencies. This process is vital to preserving the balance of power set forth by the Founders in the U.S. Constitution. Betsy DeVos has dedicated herself for years to shaping education policy to better the lives of students. That said, please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the full U.S. Senate considers Betsy DeVos’ nomination.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If you would like to receive periodic updates from my office, please sign up for my eNewsletter at http://mcconnell.senate.gov/, become a fan of my page on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/mitchmcconnell or follow my office on Twitter @McConnellPress. In the meantime, I hope you will continue to keep me informed about issues important to you.

Sincerely,
Mitch McConnell

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Betsy DeVos has dedicated herself for years to shaping education policy to better the lives of students.
I don't live in the states but I've watched the youtube videos where others are questioning her. She doesn't seem to be familiar with any of the policies that are mentioned.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-26-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds to me like he'll still vote for her regardless of your (our) concerns. I appreciate your efforts though. I wrote to both of my state senators too.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Omg...
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a sickening response.

She has NO experience for this important job (which, btw, can and will impact every real teacher in the country!).

Her MILLIONS of dollars of contributions has bought her this position.

This is WRONG.

jmo.
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

And to think that the Republicans
Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

where so self-righteous with their allegations that the Clinton Foundation engaged in "pay-for-play." What exactly do they call this?

Trump's pockets are being lined by his cabinet choices. He is such a weasel that it is difficult to believe so many are being fooled by him.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think you should write back again, and question his information. Ask him if he is familiar with which policies she has shaped. Ask him what evidence he has that she is even familiar with policies and federal laws regarding education. Ask him what she has done to encourage achievement in the traditional public schools in her state. Traditional public school is still one of the choices, too, after all. I wonder if he would answer. Somebody HAS to hold these people's feet to the fire. Also, I will now write to my own Congresspeople in LA. Thanks for the push.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Old 01-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I called a lot of senators, especially Republicans who supported DeVos, and expressed my concerns. I got a lot of the same responses. Sen. Alexander's office was the worst, and I had to use my teacher voice to get the person on the phone to stop giving me the canned answer so I could express my concerns. He didn't like that
I used the same talking points for most:
Money does not equal subject knowledge.
Her lack of knowledge about IDEA and other federal laws and regulations concerns me, as does her lack of pedegogy familiarity.
Her track record is not good. I'm in Massachusetts, her state is not what we in MA want for our kids-compare educational results.
As a highly qualified educator, with a Masters degree, I find her nomination an insult. I had to demonstrate expertise and subject matter knowledge, so should she, she doesn't even have an education degree.

I also informed some offices that I Am a issues voter, and am registered Independant, so I can vote either party. I will no longer vote Rebuplican because I feel they are more interested in money than expertise or experience.

Last edited by blcw; 01-27-2017 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Cranky iPad
blcw is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I called my senators several times but the phone call volume they are receiving is apparently high so I was defaulted to voice message every time I called. I finally just left both senators my message. I had jotted out my points with supporting details ahead of time so felt my message was clear and thorough. I can't imagine for a second that DeVos would end up pleasantly surprising us should she be confirmed. We've suffered through so many lousy individuals appointed as Secretary of Education. It would be nice to have someone in the position who actually is knowledgeable and effective. Guess we can keep dreaming.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

funkster

signed petitions and wrote emails
Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

both of my senators sent a message saying they will oppose her appointment.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

I don't care for McConnell nor DeVos
Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

However, this is one of the reasons (shared by blcw) I don't think we should waste money on a department of education. Let the states take care of eduation:

Quote:
Money does not equal subject knowledge.
Her lack of knowledge about IDEA and other federal laws and regulations concerns me, as does her lack of pedegogy familiarity.
Her track record is not good. I'm in Massachusetts, her state is not what we in MA want for our kids-compare educational results.
As a highly qualified educator, with a Masters degree, I find her nomination an insult. I had to demonstrate expertise and subject matter knowledge, so should she, she doesn't even have an education degree.
Just a question to blcw: After you received your degrees, did your state require you to take other exams demonstrate expertise and subject matter knowledge? Did you have to take a test just to get your teaching certificate and then for the content knowledge? (Just curious as to what other states do.)

Demand term limits and that would take care of all those like McConnell.
Demand that the depart of educ be eliminated.

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

aggie'swife: I know it wasn't to me, but for Kentucky's answers, yes to both.

There was a content knowledge test, and then there was a general test on learning and teaching. Both of which are Praxis.

For licensing in a bordering state, I had to take two content area tests (one for multiple subjects, one on just ELA), and then I had to take a test on curriculum and instruction (different from the learning/teaching test as that one focused more on theory and the C&I focused more on strategies).
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Sorry for the delay
Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I got my degree (duel major, education and English). I took a total of 3 state exams to get my teaching license. In Mass we have 5 years to get a Masters. I went straight from college into a Masters program. Teachers who specialize take even more exams. There is no state exam in Mass for my Masters, but during my first 3 years I needed to complete a mentoring program which included a portfolio and many observations. I could have been let go at any time during those 3 years. I now have professional status. I need to meet continuing education requirements and get PDPs, which are broken down into subject matter, ELL, and SPED. Lots of paperwork I renew my licenses every 5 years).
blcw is online now   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Thank you both for your shared info
Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Now this may irritate you, but think about it a bit....and remember I am not a DeVos supporter.

DeVos is not going to be teaching is she?

Understandably a person with a background in education may seem more ideal.

- Yet looking at those in administration, they tend to forget that they were once in the trenches, after a very short period of time, and then come up with every idealic bs new so-called "idea or theory or way of teaching" under the sun. (This being ideas that to a long time teacher has seen before under a different name or with modifications- that have swung back through on the pendulum of education many times.) If you have taught for a length of time, you know what I mean...

A CEO runs a company and has lawyers to keep abreast of regulations. The director of the DOE do this too. Also if her advisory staff is made up of public school teachers, a few administrators, and some private school teachers, I would think she could have a good group to work with. Sometimes it is good to have an objective viewpoint and not get caught up in the minutiae.

Track record and educational results.

- As another poster reminded us (in another post) that one state could not really be compared to another state due to the differences of student populations & needs within those states.

And as for her being able to demonstrate competency....if she was going to teach I would agree with your requirements.

In my thinking...I don't see a need for a federal department of education and see it as a waste of money. Money better spent divided amongst the states for education.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote