Help

Future Teachers

Small Math Groups

>

educreate

Small Math Groups
Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey there! At my internship in a fourth grade classroom, I am often asked to lead a small group during center time in math class. The kids are accelerated and usually work pretty fast, which leaves me to come up with extra work or activities for them. Do you have any small group management strategies, or even higher level questions that really work to engage and make your students think in centers? Thank you in advance!

educreate is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't teach fourth grade, but maybe have these kids working on more long term problems and open ended problems with multiple solutions. Or present a problem solving activity and then ask them to think of additional extension questions. Have you heard of three act math tasks (Dan Meyer and Graham Fletcher)? My high kids don't necessarily need to work on "harder" math, they need to develop problem solving strategies, better understanding of what a rich problem is asking, ways to talk about and show their thinking, etc.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

educreate

Thank you!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All great ideas! I like the concept of giving them long term projects or questions to work on when they have extra time. It's also so important to teach them to problem solve in a variety of ways/approaches. I'll have to check out 3 act math tasks! Thank you so much.
educreate is offline   Reply With Quote

soccer_1213

Small Math Groups
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could maybe come up with extra math problems for the ones who get done really early. Like if you have to do the questions that the teacher gives you come up with additional questions. Or another thing would be to ask them to explain their answer to you to make sure they got it right. Also have them explain their answer deeper than the general answer. Hope this helps!
soccer_1213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katydid_123

Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can add more problems in a group or extended from the problem that they already have. Make it fun for them so that do not feel like that are just doing more work then the others.

Katydid_123 is offline   Reply With Quote