Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

comprehension units

>

dusty

comprehension units
Old 03-04-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When planning your reading comprehension weekly lessons do you plan a different comprehension strategy for each day, such as within a 3 day sequence using 1 book for all 3 days, or do you plan one unit that focus on one comprehension strategy or skill for the whole unit, such as a unit that focuses only on inferences using a variety of books? This question is geared towards teachers who used basals, such as journeys, and teachers who use read alouds to teach the reading standards. Right now I use one book for 3 days, either a read aloud for 3 days or the basal, and i revisit the book each day but focus on something different, for example:
Day 1: read story and focus on asking/answering questions, predictions, text to self connections
Day 2: Making inferences
Day 3: Retelling
but I don't know if instead I should spend 3 days focusing on only one strategy, such as making inferences, and use 1 or 2 books for every 3 -4 day lessons.
thanks

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to intentionally focus on a specific skill for the week, and lean towards using 1 or 2 books or other resources. However, I weave in old skills when appropriate so concepts have plenty of review.

Readswork.org has a list of strategies that I refer to about once a month to make sure I'm on track for covering them all.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote