Career Decisions

Public School or CBO

>

jteachnyc2016

Public School or CBO
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

After so much going on this past year and the amount of stress and debating, I'm searching for a new job.

Currently my school isnt doing that great and since im the newest teacher and don't have many years (3rd year) there is a 95% chance that I will be excessed from my school.

I teach in a public school and im trying to weight the pros and cons of what teaching move to make. To be quite frank, I'm so burnt out that I would consider working outside of a public school just to get some sanity. Another part of me is telling me to stay at least 1 more year in the system.

I have a Masters in Early Childhood Special Ed, and hope to soon be certified in special ed. I guess im asking would you take a pay cut, and loss of summer if it meant for you to be more balanced? I may take a position at a community based organization but then again the grass isnt always greener.

Ive heard too that I could be come a SEIT or work in early intervention. But again pay is not so great and so is lack of health benefits in some areas. Not sure which direction to take. But if anyone has had a similar experience I would love your input! Thanks

jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kay70313

Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm assuming you teach Pre-k? If you are in NY you certainly have the option for UPK in a center based program (that's what I do ) I'm the special educator so my summer is optional to work, but most programs are 6 weeks in the summer so you still get a good 3 / 3.5 weeks off. Honestly- summer can be fun with the kids- much more laid back and most centers are outside a lot!

If you are certain you can't continue in your current school I say explore your options- with your SPED background as well, there will be lots of options for you in pre K CBO programs.
Good luck!
Kay70313 is offline   Reply With Quote

jteachnyc2016

Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi thanks for responding! I currently teach 1st grade I used to teach upk. I would welcome the chance to teach UPK again if I had an optional summer option. I would agree summer isnt too bad because it is more laid back. I used to work in a CBO before I switch over to public school. I am in NY, not sure if the UPK centers in NY have the option of optional summers but maybe they do?? I'll have to check in to it. I know it will be a salary cut. Thanks again for your input.
jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote