Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Student engagement

>

ahatz

Student engagement
Old 02-23-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in a Kindergarten classroom and some of the children struggle with self-motivation. When students are given a task, most of the class begins when they are supposed to, however, there are a select few that just sit there and stare or take there time get started. Any suggestions or ideas on how i can get the students motivated to complete there work on their own?

ahatz is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd make sure they understand what they are supposed to do. Could they be unsure? Afraid of making a mistake? Are they any better working with a partner? If so, match them up with someone who knows what to do but is not too bossy. Start by making the tasks nonthreatening like coloring or painting then work up to harder or more academic tasks.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

ahatz

Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you!
I will be sure to make sure they understand the task, it seems that they are having more of a struggle at focusing on their own work and getting it completed.

educreate

Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have students like this in my classroom too! Sometimes I find that their delay is caused by a lack of comprehension or longer processing time than others. They hear the instructions, but it often takes the teacher repeating it several times and maybe even showing it to them for them to understand the task.

Giving children extra time and repeated instruction is the simplest way to approach this problem. Often, it is not for a lack of motivation, but for a lack of processing the directions that causes kids to delay beginning tasks. They hear what you are saying, but especially at a younger age, they might need a little extra time to understand the meaning behind your words.

If repeated instruction and one-on-one directions don't work, you can motivate students like this by reminding them of the overall objective, outcome, or product of the lesson. Why are they learning this material or completing this task? Is there a reason? "This activity will help you to become a better writer," for example.

Another way to motivate them is to break the task down into smaller parts. Either one-on-one or for the whole class, you can give them step-by-step instruction. I don't suggest this for the whole class very often, because this might teach them that you will "hold their hand" every time they don't understand something. But if you teach them the strategy of breaking down the task into parts, they can use it on their own eventually.

Hope this helps!
educreate is offline   Reply With Quote

ahatz

Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Great! This helps a lot!
I will defiantly try these out, i especially think that the motivation on why they are completing the specific task is very clever.
Thank for the help.

AppleQ

Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If it is the same students each time I would do some type of reward system that they can take home to make sure the parents know the child is having trouble focusing.
AppleQ is offline   Reply With Quote

wwilsonkim

Excellent
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This was an excellent response. I have experienced the same in first grade and these strategies have been working well with those students.
wwilsonkim is offline   Reply With Quote