Help

Classroom Management

how to pick students

>

senseigold

how to pick students
Old 02-21-2017, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student teacher who is struggling with ways to pick students to answer question.
What are your best ideas?
I have shared the sticks in a cup and online random name generators.
Anything else out there?
Thank you!!

senseigold is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

It's okay to pick the knowledgable kid
Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While equity sticks and digital name selectors are great, sometimes it is best to do the informed selection.

Pick a student who is the academically high student, then the middle of the road, and finally one of your borderline kids. In that order as well. The high achieving kid allows you to quickly assess if your lesson was delivered at their level of understanding. The middle kid to see if the general class has been engaged. As for the borderline kid, you're checking to see if the pacing/scaffolding was good.

Other than that, I do student gets to select the next student to answer with some kind of criteria (alternate between boy girl/ rotate table/etc). To keep track of who is talking I have them pass/hand/toss (depending on maturity) a plush animal, and surprisingly when the stuffed animal heads back to you, their attention is ALWAYS drawn to me. Keep this short to no more than 5 kids.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. Have whole class answer in writing on lap boards or paper (use the back) of assignment. Give them "think time" (10 seconds) and then say "Show".
2. Pick a shy student or one not paying attention not to answer the question but, instead, pick another student to answer it ... "John/Sue I want you to pick another student in the room to answer the next question."
3. Sit on hands. Often the "smarty pants" types hog discussions - hands shooting up and waving - which discourages others from trying ("Why should I try? You are going to pick Smarty anyway.") Tell the class you are going to ask a question. Add everyone must sit on their hands before you ask and everyone must wait 10 seconds before he/she can raise his/her hand. Count to yourself slowly. Be amazed how many hands go up at 10 seconds now that the playing field is more level.
4. Similar to #3 but in this case you don't want to discourage Smarty. When Smarty waves hand pick him/her but like #2 tell Smarty to choose another student to answer AND Smarty be prepared to PARAPHRASE that student's answer.
5. Give them the answer. This is for students who don't participate because they don't want to look stupid in front of peers. They often give you the "Huh?" or "I don't know" in hopes you will move on to someone else. Some teachers call on students not paying attention as a discipline technique because they want to embarrass them. A real no-no if you want to incourage participation.
Say, "Mary/Billy, who was the first president of the United States? The answer is on page 31, second paragraph. I want you to find it and I will come back to you for the answer." Move on and call on other students to answer other questions. Keep an eye on Mary/Billy. When you think he/she has found the answer then call, "Billy/Mary, who was the first...."? With this method you are solving two goals: 1) checking for understanding 2) building confidence in participating
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is so wrong to admit, but sometimes, after I've gone through 3-5 kids who get the answer wrong, I pick a kid who I KNOW will get the answer right just to put MYSELF out of misery.

Sometimes I call on kids with their hands up, sometimes I purposely call in kids who don't have their hands up. I also do sticks and random generators.

If we're doing a Smart Board activity I hand a kid our "magic ruler" and let them pass it amongst themselves (that's really interesting).
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Choose
Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All of the above and Think Pair Share. Have them all think of the answer, turn and tell their partner, then call on a person to share their partner's answer.

One from each row or table group. Tally points.

Show me thumbs up for ____, thumbs down for _____.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 03-02-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love all of the ideas listed! Another ideas is to call on the high-achieving students to answer higher level thinking questions and the lower students to answer more knowledge level questions. That way, they can all participate but be successful, too, not sit there being stumped.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sometimes, I'll ask the same question with the same answer over and over and over again and have every student in the class answer. For 5th grade, having them "say" a decimal the correct way... (0.345 would be three hundred forty-five thousandths) and the game would be to catch someone saying "and" where it doesn't belong. Or the "name an expression" vs an equation. You'll get silly answers like 3 billion times 999 but they don't forget what an expression is.

Or ask a question like "What's the capital of Montana?" and pick someone... then the same question "What's the capital of Montana?" ... and keep asking the same question... the kids who didn't know it will get the repetition to learn it and the kids think it's funny to answer the same question over and over again so it gets everyone participating.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Fenwick
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really like #2 as a way of engaging kids who are either daydreaming or quieter. Another good idea from PT. Thank you.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote