Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Student Engagement

>

ahatz

Student Engagement
Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in a Kindergarten classroom and some of the children struggle with self-motivation. When students are given a task, most of the class begins when they are supposed to, however, there are a select few that just sit there and stare or take there time get started. Any suggestions or ideas on how i can get the students motivated to complete there work on their own?

ahatz is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Fading rewards
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school used Class Dojo, and one of the points that they can get is for "getting started quickly". In the beginning I give out a lot of points and make a big deal about this "Oh wow, I see Mary and Jeff has already gotten started! Way to go!", then gradually fade it out as it becomes a habit.

I've also found that some of my slow starters are those kids that don't always 100% understand the directions and they need a little guidance or a check-in to make sure that they know what to do.
After I give directions I usually try to do an "I understand" check, the kids give me "thumbs up, I understand teacher", "flat hand out and hand wobbling, I more or less understand", "thumbs down, I don't really understand".
I've found this is a big help (I teach a lot of ELL's and they are good at pretending they understand, but will usually be honest if I ask the group as a whole)
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote