What would you do about these behavior problems? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Classroom Management

What would you do about these behavior problems?

>

Aisl

Aisl

What would you do about these behavior problems?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach high school. When students misbehave they get written up and a call home by the teacher. If a behavior is extremely severe they get suspended. The students in all my classes have begun lying for each other in order to get out of punishment for being written up; they band together as a group and actually sit write down a list of all lies that they will say about me to administration. Eventually I am called on by administration and fussed at; the believe them immediately without even talking to me about the situation first. I recently figured out that the main goal for administration doing this is to keep up enrollment at the school. Because of administration not punishing the students for their actions instead of punishing the teacher, behavior has become extremely out of control; the students are basically running the room. Administration is trying to please kids and families so much that even during parent teacher conferences, the principal is defending the parent and agreeing with them that I am wrong. I am even questioned in the meeting in front of the student and then I'm told that I'm wrong by the principal and that I am not allowed to do this or that...

dubby

Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If your state has a union, contact the rep. For any disciplinary action from an admin, tell them you want your union rep present.

Also in states like California, we -the teachers- have education code rights to have students suspended from our class for up to 3 days.

If you don't have any of that, perhaps it is time to start looking for employment elsewhere...
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Tough
Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds to me like you are in a private or charter school where they need the numbers? I've worked at a private school where they did cater to the parents, but the student behavior was excellent.

There are times that I have felt unsupportable by admin. in regard to student write-ups. However, this is a school-wide issue.

If I had to function in the environment you are working in, I would get the students on my side. I have to admit that one of my strengths is forming a rapport with kids. I get to know them as fast as possible. Though I am forced to use a set curriculum, I still try to incorporate music, video, and movement into my lessons. I try to use review games and tell students stories when they fit in with what we are talking about. I ask kids how they are and try to find common ground. Now there are classes that I find it harder to bond with and form a "family" type feeling in. The quote, "They don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care" really speaks to me, especially with difficult students. I don't "cure" them all, but I also never give up on a tough class or student. Last year, I did have some nightmarish students who were all in the same study hall. There were days that I didn't think I could handle it. This group didn't care about suspensions, calls home, or much of anything. Now, they did love food and music. I would do some different things where they could earn a party or movie time. Another thing is that it was really only 4-6 students who were a big problem. The others were okay. Some days a teacher friend took two of the worse to the gym. Another took one to her room. When they were split up, they were much "less horrible."

If you are stuck at this job, you need to find a way to connect with this kids in a "Freedom Writers" or "Dangerous Minds" style. [Google these movies if you haven't seen them.] If you have options for change, try to get a job in a school where you can actually teach.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

No support/behavior issues
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with post above.

Start looking for another place to teach. All schools are not this way and if administration does not support you and students do not behave and try to ruin you, why stay?
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote