High School

from first to high school

>

Catguy1234

from first to high school
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

So I am currently teaching first grade. I have just put in the paperwork to teach a reading intervention class at one of the continuation high schools in my district. Although it wasn't a formal interview, I was able to sit down with the principal to express my interest. He encouraged me to put in the paperwork so I did. I will still have to go for a formal interview.

Because it's a continuation school, I am ok to work there with a multi subject credential. That is not an issue.

Im just requesting some help with classroom management questions.. Or if you have any experience from going to very young to high school. I'd love to hear feedback. Thanks

Catguy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

NavyHusband

Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my experience, teaching an Intensive Reading or intervention class tends to yield students who usually are only at school because they aren't allowed to drop out yet. So as long as you establish yourself as someone who isn't a push over and won't put up with their crap will go a long way. Also, if you can find a way to make kids like you is a bonus, so maybe if they are on the school's basketball team, go to a basketball game and cheer them on. It shows them you (and the administration) how dedicated you are to their success. Also, a lot of high school students react well to teachers who seem like normal humans, so try and throw some sarcasm in there, maybe learn some of their slang and use it in your lessons in a way that gets your point across.

Also, do not write a referral and send them to ISS every time they do something wrong, because for many of them ISS is where their friends are. Only write them up when it is absolutely necessary.
NavyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote