Primary Grades (K-2)

Minecraft as a reward?

>

at a loss

at a loss

Minecraft as a reward?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who can be violent towards staff and students. He vandalizes the classroom on a weekly basis as well as runs around vandalizing and swearing around the school. He has been on a behavior contract for approximately 6 weeks now and his behavior is getting worse every day. Once he earns a set number of tokens, he is allowed to play Minecraft where he stated that he gets to blow up animals. Since his behavior has gotten worse, the amount of tokens needed to play minecraft has reduced as well as the frequency of earning the tokens. He also earns tokens for things such as walking instead of running in the hall, while destroying things and swearing or for giving someone a marker that he just used to write all over the walls. Any ideas on ways to convince admin that Minecraft shouldn't be an option, especially if he's violent? I have mentioned my concerns, but no one seems to listen. He is basically earning an opportunity to play the game for about 15 min, every half hour.

Sbkangas5

Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems to me that since his behavior is getting worse your best argument is that Minecraft as a reward isn't working. Six weeks seems like plenty of time to try it out. Time to brainstorm and start again.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Same thing
Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a student who was very similar. I used the minecraft theme but for good. We used the theme when discussing Zones of regulation, I printed off coloring pages, math sheets etc. The student needed to earn the extra activities by listening, working etc. Worked like a charm! I changed activities often and the student loved it. Worked like a charm!
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote