Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Combining Pre-K and K

>

globalgirl

Combining Pre-K and K
Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I teach in a small private school, with a very high number of ELL's (like, 90%). We really want to offer a Pre-K class, but just don't have the space. The idea being that it would help the ELL kindergarteners to get a head start in learning English before kinder.

One possible solution that has been proposed to to make a "half-day Pre-K" that would be in the kindergarten class. Basically they would be there for the morning-story time, phonics, calendar time, maybe reading and some math, then go home in the afternoon. (I was thinking that maybe they would be there for story time and phonics, and some math, and science/social studies, and we would do reading groups in the afternoon-since those are the easier to level more verbal subjects)

Has anybody every taught in a combination class before? How did it work for you? Did the Pre-k kids manage okay? Was it hard to be an effective teacher for both groups?

I know Montessori does this sometimes, but I'm looking for examples for more "traditional" classrooms.
(though I think this would be a great opportunity for me to push more play-based learning into the classroom)

*I do have an aide, and it would be a small class, no more than 16 kids total, and heavy on the kindergarteners (the pre-k kids would probably be the older ones that just missed the cut-off)

globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Disclaimer: I haven't done this. I don't have Early Childhood Cert. I have worked with Pre-K kids, but not in a traditional classroom. I have taught kindergarten.

Since it's heavily ELL, I would think that you would want your day to be scheduled so that Pre-K kids are there during ELA time...all of it. They could go through centers, maybe all together.

I would hold off on math, unless it was a small group lesson during centers. If you do social centers, I would do them when Pre-K is there, to get them excited about coming to kindergarten.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 03-25-2017, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are these prek students going to your school for kinder or public/another school? I think that makes a big difference. The second year, if the preks return, the kinder will be bored and already know the curriculum. More likely to not learn anything and cause trouble. It's more work for you because you won't be able to recycle things for the year before.

esl

Great idea
Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love mixed age classes - so I tend to get the pre-K / k class or K/1 class that nobody else wants. Children at this age are developing at such different rates, and with only 16, it is easy to differentiate and teach to each child's needs. Make your groups by ability,or readiness, not by age, to meet the needs of all.

Beware of teaching a K curriculum to those not developmentally ready - that is a danger of thinking, they just missed the cut off. Then you might get parents wanting them to move to grade one next year.

I don't agree that if they return for a second year they will be bored. In fact having a two year cycle of topics, stories etc, will keep you from getting bored. Even if you do cover the same topic, as you will for seasonal events, the topic can be approached from a different angle next year, and they will be more mature so they will get more out of it. Different, or slightly different seasonal crafts work. I used to make the same kind of decorated eggs every year. Children would comment on how much better the second one was, because they were bigger now.

As for the timetable, if you alternate language and maths morning and afternoon, the pre-Ks will get some, but the afternoon gives you time to focus on the older group eg you present a sound orally and aurally in the morning, in the afternoon the older ones learn to write it.

Maths is so practical, you can work on the same skill with bigger numbers, or more shapes et included for the older ones.

All topic work can be done together, differentiating the tasks by readiness.

Good luck with it.
esl is offline   Reply With Quote

esl

Me again
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If the idea is to expose them to more English, definitely do the oral introduction in the morning. Include lots of poems, rhymes, repetitive stories in the morning, they learn such a lot of language though songs.

esl is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Great thoughts!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really liked your idea of alternating days, that's something I hadn't thought of doing. It would allow the little ones to start getting a good foundation in math, especially first semester, while also letting them get the oral and aural skills needed for speaking!

I definitely agree with the multi-year cycle, I don't usually teach exactly the same things from year to year, or I get bored, especially in literacy.

I definitely agree with the differentiation based on developmental readiness. I almost always have a least one child in my class that I get told, "but, she only missed the cut-off by a month", but these kids are almost always behind the class in maturity and readiness-a month is a lot when you're only five!
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote