Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

moving from elementary to 6,7,8 ELA

>

Trevortiger

moving from elementary to 6,7,8 ELA
Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I've read many similar threads already, but have some more specific questions. About 10 years ago, I was an 8th grade teacher and taught 7th and 8th history, which I really loved. Since then, I have been in middle elementary (3rd and 4th). At heart, I am more of a middle school teacher than an elementary teacher and now I have an opportunity to teach 6th, 7th and 8th ELA next year - BUT the classes are big, at least 30 students each.
I also know that two of the three classes have a number of really low students (as per information from one of the SPED teachers.)

On the one hand, I loved teaching the 6th-8th age group and would love to teach 1 subject (I'm an English major and know the material well) instead of math, ELA, Social Studies, Science, etc., BUT I've never taught middle school ELA. I'm concerned about 90 students in 3 different grade levels (grading essays!!). I'm also stepping in to fill some pretty big shoes (previous teacher a bit of a legend) - so that is another concern. It's a private school and the parents can be overly "involved"...we also end up writing recommendation letters for all the private high schools in our area (so, no pressure there...)

This year has been in tough in elementary, I've had a lot of kids with special needs/behavior issues and find myself impatient with tying shoelaces and doling out band aids etc. etc. But I had a small class (19) and I would be pretty much set for next year with the whole curriculum planned out, projects, etc. done. Am I crazy to consider moving to middle? I think the choice is mine to stay or move, I secretly think the "easier" thing to do would be to stay put in elementary, but part of me wants to be back with middle schoolers (and it's clear the AP and Principal would prefer I move up). Very conflicted, would love your feedback. Thanks!

Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote

EnglishRose

Middle all the way
Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught high school,elementary, and middle. I Love those crazy middle school students.
They aren't babies, but they still need your approval. They aren't grown, but they have a sense of self sufficiency. There is no way that I would ever go back to elementary, and being around jaded secondary kids makes my head hurt!

TAKE THE JOB
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 04-01-2017, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm an elementary girl at heart, but if your passion is middle, I can certainly see the appeal of moving. The material at that level is interesting, and the kids can handle a much higher level of discussion. You definitely wouldn't be playing nurse or nanny as much either.

Two things I would consider:

You didn't mention your family situation, but the the increased amount of grading would stop me if I had kids of my own at home.

You mentioned you have some tough students now. Eventually, they will be in middle school - so if you move, you'll have them twice.

If those two things aren't deal-breakers for you, I would go for it!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Trevortiger

Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do have kids - they are are at the same school, so we have the same schedule. I stay up late to grade after they go to bed now and work on weekends, so that would probably stay the same. I am trying to get my hands on a schedule to figure out how much prep time I would have at school to grade and prep for the three different grades. I would also have collateral duties: student council and debate, most likely. I have done student council before in middle school.
Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote