Help

New Teachers

Recent Whole Class Chattiness

>

crzycatlady12

Recent Whole Class Chattiness
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching 3rd grade. I have a really great class and I am enjoying getting to know them. Although, since the beginning of February, they have been really chatty! I have tables not desks in my room, and there are so many students that talk no matter where I put them. I have tried different whole class behavior plans, but nothing seems to work. I have taken away things and given them rewards for not talking. They talk during work time, when I'm talking and in the hallway. I just want them to stop talking!

crzycatlady12 is offline   Reply With Quote

SocratesLntrn

I hear your frustration
Old 03-12-2017, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there,
Have you ever read a book by Rudolf Dreikurs called Discipline without Tears. I read it in college and it's quite good.

Set up consequences that fit the crime so to speak. Make sure that all of the children are treated the same way. One rule that I’ve found to be very effective is 3 strikes and you’re out. If you have to talk to a child 3 times during one period, there is a consequence, if he/she misses 3 home works in a semester, there is a consequence, if he or she is disrespectful, or bothers another child, there is a consequence, and so on. Be consistent, don’t give them chance after chance, they know the rules and if they choose not to follow them, it is their decision. I teach 6th grade but some of this could be used for your kiddos.
SocratesLntrn is offline   Reply With Quote

crzycatlady12

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have not read that book, but I have heard of it. I will definitely have to pick up a copy to read.

We have a classroom clip chart we use as a school, that seems to work for some students but not all. I like the idea of 3 strikes and you are out. Do you have students who get 3 strikes every period? I am fearful that there will be a few students who will continuously strike out and not care. Thanks for the suggestion!

Zulbi

Can relate
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am first year teacher as well. My kids started the year very well and then we took winter break and they come back very energetic and chatty. I did the 3 strikes as well and the consequence was no recess. I did have students who received the 3 strikes in very short time. More than once all of my students go 3 strikes therefore, I kept my promise which was no recess. It had been working very well. Stick with your consequences even if the whole class is receiving it. I hate to take their recess aways but nothing got to my kids but recess.
Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

crzycatlady12

Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is frustrating when there is this sudden whole class change. I am going to start the 3 strikes Monday and see how it goes. I am really good about following through and being consistent with consequences. Some of the kids could care less if they get in trouble, but for others it is detrimental. I agree that it stinks taking away recess, but it is hard to take anything else away. Thanks for sharing!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh this happens every year around spring. The kids get familiar with each other combined with spring fever (although Feb is early, it's not unheard of) and what you have is a class that will.not.shut.up!!!

A few things that work:
1) review and practice procedures, expectations and routines like it's the first day. I know I sometimes get lax and the kids need the review.
2) enforce rules and consequences.
3) reward great behavior
4) if you can't beat them, join them. Plan activities that call for partner and group work throughout the day. That way you can say, "you've had time to work with partners, now the expectation is you work on your own." Combining partner/group work and independent work is a great way to keep them engaged and control the talking.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote