Help

New Teachers

Students Will NOT Pay Attention or Behave

>

BioEducator87

Students Will NOT Pay Attention or Behave
Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 8th grade science and the students are really disrespectful, lazy, and hardheaded. They do not pay attention or be quiet, no matter how many times they are moved in the class. Many of them do not complete or turn in work. I have to repeat myself and raise my voice multiple times. I'm not even able to teach. Calling parents and sending students to the office does not help at all. I just want to give up. I'm so ready to leave!!!

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

FellowTCH

FellowTCH

First Year Teacher-Same struggles too!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that you are not alone. This is my first year teaching, as well, and boy, has it been at ride. The entire first semester, I had to deal with various behavioral problems and had many parent complaints.

However, over winter break my Principal and I did some brainstorming. The day we came back I retaught all of my expectations and implemented a more consistent and concise discipline plan.

Each student starts out the hour with a Post-It Note. Every time I have to remind them to follow or comply with an expectation, it is a checkmark on the Post-It. Two checkmarks will equate to a office write up and three equates to being removed from the classroom. I know that you say that students are not responding to being removed from the room, but is there another consequence you could implement at three strikes?

Again, I understand you completely. This year has been rough. Thankfully, things are looking up--for the time being at least. I at least feel as though now, I can focus on the curriculum and worry less about behaviors.

Tounces

Science
Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Give them something to look at and copy into their notes from the Smartboard. Have it up so they have some work to do right away. Any papers they need for class they can pick up on their way to their seats. Show them the objective and agenda for that day. Have a routine and stick to it. If they don't have the prep work done for the experiments, they need to finish that first and have you check it. Have them work in small groups of 4-5. Explain what they need to do for each transition before they move.
Talk to the other teachers on your grade level for suggestions too. The homeroom teachers may have a behavior system already set up or at least your school should have one.
Don't try to be their friend. If you started too easy on them there is still a chance to turn them around. Ask for a mentor or another Science teacher at another grade level in your school on what they do.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

Reflection
Old 01-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so sorry you are going through this. I agree that sending students to the office never works. Some students even like going to the office. I commend you for sticking through this far; over half the year is over! When I went through this, I told the kids new year new start. We reestablished classroom norms and it was hard but the kids will test you until the end of the school year to see if you will break.

People say building relationships with students helps with classroom management. But to an extent, the classroom environment drives everything and the kids know one another and know what they can get away with can cause terror.

I wonder if this is worth a shot, but maybe having an honest conversation with the students in a peace circle. Don't talk the whole time. But weigh in and give every kid a chance to pitch in. Peace Circle Rules. 1. Only the person with the talking piece can talk (explain meaning or story behind talking piece) 2. Check in Round 1 Ask how are you? 3. Set a theme or inspirational quote about respect on the board or something about classroom learning environment 4. Ask students to reflect on that quote and ask deeper questions (like how they feel...etc). Students are allowed to skip if they don't know what to say but say you will come back to them. Perhaps their honesty might not be pleasant to hear they can talk about how they hate school etc. But let them talk it through.
mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

SocratesLntrn

3 Strikes and You're Out
Old 03-11-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,
I teach 6th grade and my partner and I have come up with something effective. We've instituted a 3 strikes and you're out program. If they talk out, their name gets written on the board, if they continue to talk out or fool around, they get a check next to their name, the 3rd time they have to be spoken to, they get a detention with one of us. We have forms that we've made that get sent home to the parents, the kids have the opportunity to write down what they did and what they need to do to not get in trouble again. They have to sign it and so do their parents. You can use this for missing homework assignments, etc. If you're interested in seeing the forms that we use, let me know.

I also make a check mark next to their name in my grade book, because each semester begins anew. So if they get only 2 check marks next to their name and the semester ends. They begin with a clean slate for the next semester.

If this behavior continues, you confer with the student, principal, guidance counselor, etc. to get him/her back on track. You can also work with the child to help write their own behavior plan. Sometimes we'll put the child in each other's room to get them away from the others. Sometimes, they have to go to the office, also a call home to a parent, with the child can help.

If you have a good rapport with your kids and they're on your side, they will help you by ignoring the poor behavior, esp. if you reward them for it. We also do monthly movies for only the kids who don't have 3 strikes against them. Come up with things that the kids may like to do and reward them. It really works.

SocratesLntrn is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Thank You!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sorry I'm so late!! But thank you all for your replies and advice!!! This has definitely been an experience for me. But I feel that it will help me be a better teacher next year. Only one month left.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote