Help/Advice for a Journalism II Teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

Help/Advice for a Journalism II Teacher?

>

AmberB123456

AmberB123456

Help/Advice for a Journalism II Teacher?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! Iím a high school English teacher ending my first year. Iíve been selected to run our journalism program for next year (2017-2018). Currently I run a small one-semester journalism basics course. Next year, I will be piloting a year-long Journalism II course that involves a monthly all-online school newspaper/newsletter and once a week news broadcasts that the students create. Itís hard for me to start planning with this class, as I am building it from the ground-up and donít have a ton of experience yet. My biggest problem with this course is really how to run and grade a class where the end output is a collective effort, instead of something that has more of an individual feel (like most classes). I have a few (okay, actually a lot) of questions if any teacher doesnít mind answering them. It would be especially helpful if your district is like mine, and the school newspaper is part of a class, and not a club, but of course welcome any and all advice. I have a few basic questions, but would love any tips on this type of a course for something that has helped you.

*How do you grade something that is a collective effort? (such as the school newspaper or broadcasts? *Should I have students create an assignment first and then select the best articles? (that just seems one-sided though, I think the majority would be the same students again and again as the ďbestĒ writers.)
*Should I select a student to write a certain type of story for the paper (i.e., Sandra writes feature today, Billy writes sports) and then they switch for the next monthly paper? ...But then what if the selected student does not follow through on the assignment? Would I select a different candidate? Have a back-up?
*Should I have students complete the same assignment, and then have a ďrotationĒ for whose piece is featured?
*What articles do you include in newsletters/newspaper and weekly broadcasts?
*In this class there will be both a broadcast section and a newsletter section. This is a year-long class. Would it be wise to have half the class on the broadcasting side and half the class on the newsletter side, and then switch at semester? Or should they all collectively work on the items all-year long?
*We are a very small district; as of this moment I only have 7 students enrolled in this class.
*What technology do you use for the newsletter? We use Chrome OS. Iíve heard LucidPress and Canva are okay. We are looking into an all-online method.
*How do you get the information out to students/community? E-mail? Twitter for the school/district? Iíve tentatively created an educator twitter page for next year.

Thank you for your time and advice!