tips for building math fluency K-3 (fun!) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

tips for building math fluency K-3 (fun!)

>

sandycheeks

tips for building math fluency K-3 (fun!)
Old 04-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any tips, games, ideas for building math fluency as a starter or ending activity for the module lesson.

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Fran123

Fran123

fact fluency fun
Old 04-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A couple ideas!

1. Number Talks and/or Number Strings to promote fact strategies like near doubles, making 10, etc. We open each math class with these. Sometimes this will consist of Quick Looks on a math rack/rekenrek, dot cards, or double ten frames.

2. Kathy Richardson activities. Using her "Hiding Assessment" you can find each kid's "working number." This is the lowest number that kids can not immediately decompose. You can google it for more info. I pair up kids who have the same working number. Partners play games from her books, like Snap It, Build a City, Bear Cave, Bulldozer, Penny Plate, etc. When they play these games, they use their working number to determine how many counters they play with. These games are so simple...but they get fact families ingrained into kids' brains. For example, if me and my partner's number is 7, we are working on knowing that 7 is 7/0, 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, etc. In second grade, they go up to When they think they know all of the pairs automatically, they can sign up to do the test with me and move up to a new number

3. Fact games- there are so many of these out there. I always have at least one fact game in my work stations, and I prefer games that stress the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction. We like Everyday Math Games like Beat the Calculator, Name that Number and Salute, as well as Investigations games like Close to 20.

Much like you probably do, I really wanted to find hands-on, brains-on fact fluency activities and move away from Mad Minutes and worksheets. Not only are these methods more engaging and promote high order thinking, but our 3rd grade teachers have all stated that they have noticed a marked improvement!