Classroom Management

Is Principal Giving Me Enough Support?

>

Jason 5099

Jason 5099

Is Principal Giving Me Enough Support?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a teacher at a new high school, and my principal has not fully backed me up several times. Right now, I have one student who is upset that the Advisory course is not "different" than what it is. I have incorporated more of what this particular student has said she wants to do in Advisory--preparing for college admissions and doing SAT prep--but this student still doesn't pay attention in class or do some of her homework. This student is frequently sending emails during class or playing games on her computer during class. She never adds to classroom discussion unless directly called upon. This student wants to be moved out of my Advisory just "because." Even though I have incorporated her ideas about what to do in this class, she is still dissatisfied. She went to my principal to switch to a different class. Instead of straight out backing me up (especially since the curriculum in this Advisory was his own directive of what we are supposed to be doing), he told the student "he would think about it" and now he wants me, him, and the student to meet together to discuss her "issues" and going forward. Shouldn't the principal just tell the student to get to work, get her overdue homework finished, stop playing games and using her cell phone during class, and stop trying to game the system? I think he needs to feel liked by the students even at the expense of not supporting teachers who need back-up.

Do I have a loser principal? Or is this lack of support and back up typical of principals in other places too? Should my principal have supported me here? Is meeting with the principal, student, and myself a sign of my own failure in this case or my lack of power over the situation?

Fenwick

Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
...This student is frequently sending emails during class or playing games on her computer during class. ...
What did you do when she was not following your management plan or was it okay for her to use her agenda and ignore yours?
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Don't Get Admin. Involved
Old 02-12-2017, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have learned that most people in administration don't really want to be bothered by issues. I try to deal with 99% of issues myself. Like Fenwick said, why are you letting this girl play games and email instead of doing her homework? I teach ms, but I would confiscate her cell if she is misusing it. Make your technology policy is clear and follow through with consequences.

You are completely correct that the P should have said, "Do your work!" However, you now know that he will not support you. I've had few that actually did. The buck needs to stop with me. Why would she go to the P about a class change and not guidance? To me, that is very odd. Our principal is very busy and quite frankly, we rarely see him. I would be really ticked if I had to have this ridiculous meeting because this girl isn't "happy."

I would probably talk to this girl and see how she could get her work in. For example, maybe see if another student could get her caught up. I work hard to "build relationships" with my students. Meaning that I get to know them. This is a lifesaver with difficult and troubled students at times. I have some kids in my study hall that I don't have in my regular classes and I do find it harder to deal with them because I don't know them well. Can you spend some time talking to this girl and see what is going on? Maybe she has a friend in another class that she wants to join? Or maybe she is hearing other advisories have more fun? I would not put much stock in her desire to switch. Your principal sounds like he wants you to "keep the customers happy." We deal with the same attitude.

Let us know how it goes.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl70

Blah!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, give her detention when she is messing around during advisory. Then, I 'd call her parents and let them know that while you have accommodated some of her requests, she's not doing her work in class, and is going to the principal to make problems.

Principals just want to keep everyone happy and they have to check up on teachers if there's an actual complaint. I've actually lost my job bc of students like her complaining about me (literally complaining about a B+, because they wanted an A even though they didn't do A work), and the principal didn't back me up, mostly because they just don't want to deal with issues. They also seem to forget that even good students sometimes will screw around and push the buttons of a new teacher. Like you said, you don't know this girl very well. Call her parents! YOu'll know her much better afterwards! And if you don't get anywhere with mom, call dad!
GL!!
beachgirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Old 04-10-2017, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was actually wondering the same thing about my school admin just today. This is completely typical at my school. I felt so defeated today. No support at all. In fact acted like I was in the wrong for questioning bad behavior.
I won't go to admin ever again.

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Have the Principal Move Her
Old 04-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hey...one less student to hassle with. This kid needs extra negative attention. She probably wants to be in another class that has her friends in it. "Let it go, let it go..." she's wasting valuable energy you can use with other students who want to learn.
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote