I'm student teaching seniors who refuse to work. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

I'm student teaching seniors who refuse to work.

>

MissLit15

I'm student teaching seniors who refuse to work.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in my second student teaching placement. I am in a 12th grade English classroom, and I'm currently teaching two of the classes. Each class has nine students, and they are not planning to go to college. There is nothing motivating these students to work. There is not an end of the year test for them, and they are not going to college. I've been teaching the classes for a week, and one of the classes refuses to work. They do not take me seriously as a teacher due to my age.

I know that they like to work with their hands (more than 50% plan to work on the boat or weld), but I am having a hard time incorporating hands on, motivating work for them while working with Renaissance works.

Any suggestions as to how to motivate them or make the readings more interesting or make it applicable would be highly appreciated!

MissLit15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

age group
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if it's going to work for this age group but have you tried doing class dojo with them? You know motivating them through some kind of a reward? Say they got 1000 points for accomplishing a task then they get a chance to work in a computer lab or something that they would appreciate. That kind of thing... Sometimes, it's through bribery that gets them going, extrinsic motivation in combo with something intrinsic. You get more flies with vinegar, !
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, my sympathies. Sounds like you have been thrown to the lions. What has your mentor teacher advised? What about other teachers in the department? There are teacher sites (PBS/education), that have other teachers lesson plans on them. Maybe see what others are doing within the books they are required to read to graduate. Remind them, that they still need to do work to graduate high school. Maybe have a speaker or two within their career goals that can back you up in convincing them, their education is important.

I had a student last week (sophmore), that did not complete a worksheet on Salem Witch Trials. I told him, you know one day you will have kids and they will be on this particular book. They will say "Dad, tell us about this book and the Salem Witch Trials." And you will say "Well, I would kids, but I never turned in my paper, so I can't help you." I told him they have been teaching this book since I was in high school. He seemed to understand and turned in paper next day.

Maybe, bring in a few papers to read and discuss. The main thing is to talk to your mentor teacher. Dress more conservative. Do not try to be their buddy or most popular teacher. We all want to be liked, but for someone as young as you are, you have to set clear boundries.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Can you play to welding and boating?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could they write about these things? I'm afraid I don't know much about boating. I live in Maryland now, but I lived my entire life, until last year, in Colorado, so I don't know squat about boating. Could they write papers explaining whatever it is they do, or want to do, out there? Are they crabbing? Fishing? Sailing? Racing? Could they write about how to get the boat ready for the season, how to get it ready for winter, how to supply it, how to actually pilot it--it seems like there's a lot to write about.

Reading--Old Man and the Sea

Tie it in to the Renaissance--how did they build ships during that time, what were some of the most famous ships, captains too, who were some pirates, what were their adventures, naval battles.....

Welding--my husband was a welder, so I know a little. How to strike an arc, different types of welding (TIG, MIG), what does a good bead look like and how do I achieve it, how to choose a welding hood, properties of different metals (ask the science teacher for help), what is a foundry and how does it work (field trip--would be awesome), how do you weld overhead, how do you check for leaks, what supplies does a welder need, career prospects for welders. They could expand to fabrication.

Tying welding into the Renaissance is admittedly harder. How about talking about the belief in alchemy and having them read about and write about that? They could do a study of metal working of the time, what metals were available and used. It would be interesting to look at how lead was used. I know they used it in stained glass windows; it had to have been used a lot of ways that made people less healthy. I bet there were drinking vessels made of lead. That would be interesting to research, maybe.

I don't know, the hardest class I ever had was a class of 9 kids who were all ED. They also weren't planning on college and they didn't "do school" either. Playing to their interests was the only thing I could do and it only worked part of the time. But that's better than none of the time. But I wouldn't make them read Voltaire or Richlieu or any of that because they're not going there with you. Have them read ABOUT stuff from that time that interests them, instead.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bxpre0

Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Few things you could try:

1. Contacting the parents and touching base with them on what's going on. Most parents I've called are pretty good at laying down the law with their kids. Keep in contact even letting them know of positive things, like a improved behaviour or something they have accomplished in the class.

2. Depending on the unit your doing you could try to provide some resources aligned with their future interests. Or you may try spending the first 10 minutes of the lesson reading a text from something their interested. You could try reading to them. You'd be surprised how many of them like being read to.

3. Rewards. I love using a program called Kahoot (google it), which is a quiz game you can either make up yourself or use someone else's for free. Mix it up with a few english questions and a few questions aimed at their interests or if you know something about a childs interests put that as a question (e.g I had a student from the Phillipines so I asked what the capital was - he was ecstatic when he saw the question).

bxpre0 is offline   Reply With Quote