Should I leave current school without another job lined up? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Should I leave current school without another job lined up?

>

meowzer

Should I leave current school without another job lined up?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, everyone.
My name is Sara, I am a first-year teacher and I do not want to go back to the school where I am currently working. There are many many reasons why I am not happy in my school. I do not want to go into all the lengthy details but we have no real curriculum, very limited resources, extremely disrespectful students, students not getting their IEP minutes, tier III students not getting any reading support, unprofessional administration, etc. My fear is that if I leave I might not get another teaching job. I am worried I will regret leaving because maybe having a terrible teaching job is better than not having one. I love my students and I love the staff, but most of the other staff has decided to leave after this year too.
I am wondering what other teachers would do in this situation. I feel pretty certain in my decision to not return, but I am wondering if anyone disagrees or has been in a similar situation.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Sara

meowzer is offline   Reply With Quote

MoveForward

Start looking
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it's completely natural to want/need a change of scenery...or at least to think about it. I am currently an 8th grade Social Studies teacher and I honestly love my job, but we are "IR"(Improvement Required) this year and that changes the rules a bit. As a result, I am actively applying for jobs at other schools and plan to attend several job fairs this spring. I am still going to be a professional, finish the year strong and shoot for the stars but, realistically, I may very well be non-renewed. I would advise you to get your resume together and register for a few job fairs this spring just to see what's out there.
MoveForward is offline   Reply With Quote

meowzer

thank you!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry for the delayed reply. I appreciate your advice. I decided not to return for next year, even though I am quite nervous about the possibility of not getting another teaching position for next school year.
meowzer is offline   Reply With Quote

MsSouthern

Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had the same experience twice! Terrible schools...various reasons. Anyway, just if worse comes to worse know that you can substitute and then you can find a job you love that way! Just wanted to let you know, you are not the only one this has happened to!
MsSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote