Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Help!!

>

Pinky30

Help!!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am a Prek teacher and I am needing help with a very challenging student. This is my 5th year teaching prek.
Any and all suggestions are helpful!
Okay, so here goes...
I have a student in my class that does not listen, will not sit for lessons, hits/attacks other students, yells obscene things to me and my assistant...etc.
I don't know what to do anymore. He is out of control - he is so hyped up a lot of the time and when he's not he's destroying my classroom. He has attacked both me and my assistant, he has left marks on my other students and he has torn down pretty much most of my stuff. We have tried so many things...rewards when he does something good - even miniscule, being a helper, having him choose centers first, allowing him to sit in a chair for lessons at the carpet. I've asked my administration for help, but I keep getting the same thing- do this intervention add this to your lesson plans.....blah blah blah! I am so at a loss I don't want to even go to work anymore. I have 2 other students that are trying to follow his lead and throw chairs across the room, scream when upset, run away and yell shut up. I have never had a student this violent before - I don't understand his random unprovoked attacks on my students.
Please help!!!!!!

Pinky30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach preschoolers with behaviors/social delays and disorders, so I get lots of kiddos like this each year. First, a few questions...

1.) are you in a public school? This kiddo probably should be observed by the school psychologist

2.) What triggers the behaviors?

3.) What motivates him? You'll need to work with the parents to discover a highly motivating reinforcer before beginning a behavior protocol

4.) How old is he? Any delays in other areas?

I wouldn't even worry about him sitting for lessons. The first priority is the aggression towards peers. If you give a little more info, I'm happy to help make a plan!

asnmdirteha

Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a student similar to your description, luckily we got him when he just turned 3 so he was slightly willing to listen, he also needs a lot of encouragement and help with doing the right thing. Hang in there, he still hits others, say outrageous things about how he will beat up his classmate's father..it's ridiculous.

What we've done so far that has worked is taking away playground. I know it sounds awful but it has been the only thing that has really gotten him to slow down and listen to what we are trying to do. The first few times were awful cause he cried and instead of "playing" we would have him go run laps around the track instead (he has a high energy level).

Also, talking to parents is really important. I think when my student lacks sleep he acts out a lot more.
asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote