Help

Classroom Management

What to Do When Work Has No Name?

>

BioEducator87

What to Do When Work Has No Name?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have about 100 students. I have some students in each class that didn't turn in or complete homework, however, I have a paper with no name on it. I don't recognize the handwriting. I'm afraid if I just ask the classes if someone turned in their homework but didn't put their name on it, there will be someone taking credit for someone else's work. If I don't put a grade in or give a student a zero for not turning in work (remember, I have multiple people who have not turned it in), I would not want to give the student a zero. What should I do?

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Throw it Away
Old 02-07-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 7th grade and have about 120 or so students. I tell them from day one that no names will be discarded. I also remind them every darn day to put them names on their papers first. MANY still don't. I actually don't always toss the papers, but I put them in a folder and if they are not claimed fairly soon, they get tossed. Usually in September, I make it a point to toss a few no names in each class. That sometimes makes a point. I would be nicer about this, but I find that is the SAME kids who always "forget" to write their names.

What really burned me up is when they do this on tests! I also demand that kids write their last name. If they don't, I sometimes take off points. I do look at the last name in my grade book and I have multiple students with the same names.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

What to do with no-name papers?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can parents / students view their grades online? If so, absolutely put in zeroes for every student for whom you have no identifiable paper. In my 20+ years of experience teaching middle- and high-schoolers, I have observed that the chronic no-namers rarely check their grades and therefore rarely notice or question their zeroes because they are usually the same kids who don't consistently do their assignments and / or turn them in. The no-name habit is a common symptom of a lackadaisical attitude toward schoolwork. If it's not important enough to them to bother to check their grades and to question a zero for an assignment they know they did, then, frankly, they deserve the zero.

However....for each class period, keep a folder of no-name papers --- just in case a kid (or parent) actually does question and claims to have turned it in. If you have several papers with no name for the same assignment, ask the kid to find his paper among them and to then provide you with another of his papers so you can compare the handwriting. You can probably safely toss out the collected no-name papers at the end of every grading period, about a week after report cards have gone out. If someone were going to question a zero, they would have done it by then.

On another, but related, note....I remedied the "I turned that in; you must have lost it" claim with two forms, which I will attach here. Feel free to tweak for your own use. I copy them on bright pink and bright green paper, respectively, and the kids know what I mean when I tell them to "fill out a pink/ green sheet." Whenever I collect assignments, I make sure that I get something from every single student present --- either the assignment or the form. And I immediately stick a post-it note on top of the stack of papers with the date and the name of any student who was absent that day. My students know that if they are turning in late or absentee work, that they need to stay after class and put it directly into my hands, and that I will have them sign their corresponding pink / green sheet indicating that the missing assignment has now been turned in. No signature on the sheet means they either did not turn it in to me at all, or they did not follow procedure and put it into my hands and I am not responsible if it disappears. I keep the pink / green sheets all year long as a paper trail, in case I need them for a parent conference.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Form for Missing Homework- PT version.doc (27.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Mme Escargot; 02-08-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much!!! Those are great ideas, I will definitely use them.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 3rd and I toss them. If they don't care enough to put their names in them (even though I say, "name, number, date" every freaking time I hand out papers) then I don't care enough to grade it.

If by middle school they can't put their names on it, don't bother, just toss it. Enough zeros will teach them. M

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just toss no names. With 150 middle schoolers, I'm not going to try to figure it out. If a kid insists he turned it in, I just tell him I did not get one with his name on it, and hand him a blank one. He can do it over if he wants late credit. They've been told to put their names on their papers for over half of their lives. They know how to! Their choice.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-09-2017, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love Mme Escargot's idea of making them turn in a form if they don't have their homework done!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

modelnteacher

Tough Love
Old 02-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Reinforcement will be hard but eventually they will get it. I say hold on to it until you hand it back and whoever comes up and says they did it and didn't get it back, see if it's theirs. Notify them that the next time it will get thrown away and make an announcement to the class. Before collecting it, you should tell everyone to make sure they have a name on it. After the first few notifications, let them know that it is your final warning and the rest will be thrown away from there on out. If they receive a zero for work they receive, they will learn to always put their name on their work.
modelnteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

missamanda_20

Old 02-25-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No name papers go straight into the trash can. There's a fifth grade teacher on my campus who has several students who don't turn in homework and what he has them do is they will write 250 words on why they didn't turn it in. It's pretty effective.
missamanda_20 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I taught 3rd grade so I don't know if it would work for you but..
I had a work basket where each assignment, classs work, or homework to be turned in had to be placed. Beside each basket I had several highlighter markers. The student highlighted their name before placing in the work basket. It didn't take long for them to get into this routine and very seldom did I receive no name work.

jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

Electronic Submissions
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use a website/app called FreshGrade. The app as reduced the number of bags i carry to and from school and it keep all the responsibility on the kids.

Kids use a phone/ipad/computer to upload a picture of their work and then it gets stored in the cloud. If it is not a tangible product the students can upload videos or sound recordings. They can also upload PDFs and DOCs.

I can access it all online or my tablet, and then provide feedback. It is great if you have kids submit drafts, you can provide feedback and have them upload to the same assignment their final product.

Plus you don't have the no-name problem becuase they upload it to their accounts. You can also share their work and feedback with parents, so the parents will have no excuse to complain.

Good luck!

(This was not a sponsored post. They give me nothing to promote this product. It just works for me.)
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

No name papers
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Make a bulletin board with title: "no name" and tack paper to bulletin board. If no one claims it in a few days, trash it. Make sure students know to look on board if they do not get paper back.

Put responsibility on them.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

no names
Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I actually have my students put their names on their papers, as soon as they are handed out. They have 10 seconds to get their full name and date on the paper. I give them a count down and try to beat them on the doc cam. If they do not get their names down in the time they get a consequence. If a paper is turned in without a name, the missing person will have to redo it during special time. For the most part, this is not a problem anymore. Good luck.
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote