Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Point Of Sale/Reloadable Cards

>

MrTeacherDude

Point Of Sale/Reloadable Cards
Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 8th Grade Social Studies and we have a big personal financial literacy component to our standards. I have access to a cheap (free) POS System and an old laptop. Does anyone here have knowledge about using those blank re-loadable gift cards to add "money" onto them so kids can earn rewards, but still learn the PFL standards? "Buying" HW Passes, Drinks, Candy, etc. I had thought about allowing them to use it on the "stock market" and pay them dividends to learn investing.

No real money is being exchanged, but students will learn that they can only buy what they can afford and to make smart financial decisions.

I've used paper money in the past, but it gets lost and you have to have A TON of it! I want to streamline everything for the 21st Century.

Any ideas?

MrTeacherDude is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

Thoughts
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you can't figure out how to do exactly what you want with swipe cards, have you considered making your own cards with barcodes? It would be cheap and easy to manage and all you would need is basic software, a card scanner (such as those often found with POS systems) and card materials.
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote