Help

Classroom Management

Classroom organization and teaching style

>

mrteacherguy

Classroom organization and teaching style
Old 02-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it normal to still struggle with classroom organization and teaching style as a fourth year teacher?

Organization has never been my strong point, but this year I feel very unorganized. And finding an organization style that works for me is something I'm still trying to do.

the same goes for teaching style and building relationships with my students. Some of my coworkers who are also in their fourth or fifth year seem to be naturals at building relationships with the student, and easily slipped into their teaching style. However, I'm still trying to figure it out; I want to be the kind of teacher than can joke around with his students and be sarcastic with them, but it seems like this year and last, I'm the mean/strict/serious teacher.

Do other teachers struggle with finding their groove for this long? Any recommendations on how to fix it?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Yep.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and my only suggestion is to keep trying new things. I am in Year 11 and am always trying new ideas. I try to remember that teaching style is sometimes dependent on the students and their learning styles too. Knowing and trying a lot of different teaching styles, especially types of discipline and behavior management, is a good thing. More tools in your "Teacher Tool Box" so to speak.

As to organization, You just need to find what works for you. You can try things that work for everyone else on your hall and if it doesn't work for you, don't feel bad. I use a number of things for organization. Color coding works for me. Digital files on a hard drive work for me. Organized chaos (aka piles) works for me. Open book shelves and binders work for me. Filing cabinets don't work for me. If I don't see it regularly, I forget about it. I also don't keep a lot of paper copies after we do the lesson. Forget that. I will never look at it again.

Find things that work for you even if they don't work for others.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Yes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach two to three different sections and I struggle keeping it all straight. After 11/12 years, I feel like I am still working harder than some of my co-workers. I sometimes WISH I could be the mean teacher! I really feel like I still struggle with students talking back, talking out, and zoning out in class. I know that this time of year tends to be difficult, but i feel a little frustrated with all the behaviors I am dealing with. However, after doing this a long time, I know that I have to be myself. I still try to improve my procedures and routines after all these years!

For me to be organized, I need to seem at least an hour more at school a day. I try to put "like with like." I file papers by lesson and lessons into units. I have students put their work into certain files by class. If they don't follow the procedure, I don't accept the paper. I also have a shelf where I put things to be done or copies. It is really all the excess paperwork that gets me. There are sometimes things I want to keep that end up being clutter. My new rule is: toss it. I have more binders than any normal person should.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

Totally normal
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too am a 4th year. Also in grad school. Grad school makes me feel more depressed about teaching most days since so many cool ideas are introduced an I am trying to figure out how to slowly work it into my classroom.

In terms of classroom organization that is something that especially during this time of the year I really struggle with. I feel like every beginning of the school year we start fresh, no copies, organized from cleaning up at the end of the year so not many papers floating around. Throughout the school year I have so much student work and posters and end up throwing most out.

Google drive has been a good friend, though not perfect system for me.

I feel like part of being a good teacher is always realizing there is room for improvement and always working to be the teacher you want to be; which means never giving up. And we sometimes don't realize that showing up is a big win. I need to remind myself that.
mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Organization
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What types of things do you need to keep more organized? I spend lots of time at the beginning of the year setting up the room. I used a large calendar for my desk. I write every meeting, field trip, testing dates, personal appointments (abbreviated) on this calendar and color-code them. I use a lesson plan book as well. I choose a large multi subject notebook for meetings, a different section for different kinds of meetings. Some people do this on a computer, but I started teaching before computers so writing them is easier for me plus I remember better if I write it down.
Students have color-coded folders that match their notebooks depending on the subject. Homework is returned in the same color box. Again, some do this online.
Returned papers are dated, I use a date stamp on the top paper, paper clip them together.
I make to-do lists every day. I write it in my lesson plan book on the side. I arrive a little early to school when possible. On Thursday, I make all the copies I need for the next week. On my desk, there is a file for To Copy, To Fill Out, To Return
I put papers the students need near the door that they can pick up when entering. Box near door to hand in work.
I don't know if this is the kind of stuff you're looking for or not.?
Relationships-ask them questions casually before class or during down time one-to-one. Don't try to be their friend, just appear interested like you would if it was your own kid. Then LISTEN! Kids connect with teachers who act like they care. Don't do all the talking. They have their own friends already. They need an adult in their life who takes time to listen, who asks about their game, their mom in the hospital, their dog that died etc. Just be there for them.
Best of luck for the rest of the year!

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

This made me smile!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been teaching for over 20 years and I still feel like I am not organized! Different teachers have different organizational styles, and mine seems to work for me. Although I would love to be super neat and organized, with everything color coded, etc. but that's just not who I am.

Teaching style for me seems to change depending on the needs of the group. If they need tough they get tough. If they need gentle, they get gentle. It varies from student to student, so I try to use a mix of styles to reach as many as I can. I'm pretty laid back, but I can be too demanding sometimes, so I've learned to tone it down when I need to. I always have to remember they are kids. Kids need boundaries.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote