Help

High School

State Certification Purpose

>

harpadzo

State Certification Purpose
Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the actual reason for state certification requirements? Isn't a four-year degree good enough? I think state certification is all about money and nothing to do with finding the right teaching candidate. What do you say?

harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote

NavyHusband

Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It holds teachers to a higher standard. Like doctors and lawyers, teachers are expected to be model citizens of the community and no parent wants some random person teaching their student. They want someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper training.
NavyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote

MoveForward

Filter
Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would you want someone practicing medicine without going to medical school or practicing law without having gone to law school? Of course not. The same reasoning applies to teaching. The certification requirement is to ensure that people have met some minimum standard that would indicate basic competence in the field. To put it simply, it is a filter. Of course, I am a bit biased as I worked very hard to pass my content exam(7-12 Social Studies Social Sciences-studied for 3 months), complete my alt. cert. coursework and grind through 2 years as an intern.
MoveForward is offline   Reply With Quote

NewObrgteachr

Alt Certicfication Question
Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello MoveForward!

I truly agree with your response, that is why I am responding. I am preparing to study for for the praxis II business test and would like your feedback...(or any help you can provide considering you teach in HS)...

I would like any suggested recommendations you or your colleagues can provide on best study materials. I am 3 yrs out from completing my Masters Degree... SCDE recommends reviewing graduate study books, but i'd like to also explore other options that may be more recent from 2013.

I am excited about my new career in teaching, and am seeking out best practices to help me ACE the EXAM 1st try ... thanks for any imput.

Graciously,
TW
NewObrgteachr is offline   Reply With Quote