Help

Classroom Management

Advice Needed- Disrespectful Student

>

teacher511

Advice Needed- Disrespectful Student
Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach third grade and I'd like to consider myself a very patient person, especially when it comes to children. Lately, I've been really struggling to have patience when it comes to one student in particular. This particular student blurts during lessons and work time, he talks back, his tone has become very disrespectful, and he won't change his behavior/actions until the third time of asking.

I know we only have 5 weeks left of school but I need some advice to help me get through the rest of the year. Any advice??

teacher511 is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

It's okay not to be patient...
Old 05-01-2017, 01:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too consider myself patient but consider not asking and start demanding with limited choices. When doing this you should be at their eye level and speaking sternly and maybe even at a lower than normal volume.

Example: instead of "Could you please speak politely?" (This gives them a choice to not do it) say something like "I need you to use friendly words right now to me or we can practice this during all of your recess."

Compliance should be immediate after teaching them your expectations the first time. The student might protest/throw a tantrum, but add to their consequence for each outburst and document it.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Send him to his seat
Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Speak to the whole group to review you procedures/rules. Tell them you will give them 3 reminders if they forget. (That's one, that's two, that's three- take five.)

Define disrespectful behavior and tell them that's an immediate "take five."

No more discussion, they know what to do and what not to do. Be calm and matter of fact. If it doesn't help, talk to the parents. There is no reason to tolerate disrespect.

I got this from "1-2-403 Magic." I'll look for the link online.

Here it is: https://www.123magic.com

Good luck! And welcome to PT. It's a wonderful community- it's like a family!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Blurt Alert Can
Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Pick up one of those small dollar store plastic trash cans with the lid that has a swinging part to toss trash through. Call it the BLURT ALERT Can. Every time he or anyone blurts out or is rude, they sign their name to a Blurt Alert slip and put it in the can. At the end of the day or week, total it and send it home with a note that says: "This is how many times Johnny interrupted learning today. Please talk with him and decide as a family how you will help him improve his behavior." You can add that you will be calling them in with their child for a conference if improvement is not evident within _____ days. It's tough but it does work. I cannot take credit for the idea as I found it years ago on-line somewhere! It's really something that should be started at the beginning of the year, but what have you got to lose? Good luck!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
...This particular student blurts during lessons and work time, he talks back, his tone has become very disrespectful, and he won't change his behavior/actions until the third time of asking....
Asking him to stop is not working. Consider going directly to your backup plan at his first provocation. One semi-public option is "Letter on the Desk". On school letterhead paper type a generic letter that says the following: Dear __________ , (blank for parent name)

Today I had to deal with ________' (blank for student name) behavior. The behavior is ___________ (blank for behavior - name only one even if there are more). I know working together we can help __________ (student name) eliminate this behavior. I will be calling you in next couple days to schedule a parent conference.

Regards,

Teacher

Have letter prepared in advance and on your desk ready to fill in blanks. When the student acts out go to your desk and slowly fill in the blanks. Put the letter in a school envelope and address it to his parents. Pull him to a private place and show him the letter. Say, "This letter is going ON your desk (tape it in envelope) and will be going home today. However, if I see no more of this behavior for the rest of the day (time-judgment) you may, at the end of day and in front of me, tear it up and throw it away. If I see more of this type of behavior this letter will be going home even if I have to hand deliver it."

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote