To Commute or Not to Commute?

>

Ladybird90

Ladybird90

To Commute or Not to Commute?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone:

I need advice about possibly taking a new teaching job that would require a long commute to and from school. To keep a long story short, I've been working in high risk/low-income schools for the past 5 years. To say that it has taken its toll on me would be an understatement. From unsupportive administrators, to rude parents who try to bully teachers, to disrespectful and unruly children who show no respect or interest in learning, I am just so done. Working in my current school environment is draining the life (and the passion for teaching) right out of me. I truly feel that teachers who want the specific challenges that come with Title I schools should be the ones working in these schools. Unfortunately, I am not one of them, and its not fair to me or my students to stay in a situation that causes me this much stress, disappointment, sadness, and anxiety. So, I've decided to take the advice of a few veteran teachers in my school. Rather than quit teaching altogether, they've suggested that I try to gain employment in one of the "better" school districts. I'm fully aware that each school has it's own set of issues and that there is no "perfect" solution. But, I'm ready to try something new before I give up altogether.

Now, I've tried to find better teaching jobs each year that I've been teaching, but it is extremely difficult to get hired into these high-performing school districts. I can speculate as to the reason(s) for this, but it's not really the point of this post. I should also note that in my city, the high-performing schools are mostly in the northern suburbs. I live in the southern suburbs. So, it's quite the dilemma. Living in the south suburbs and working in the north suburbs is a long drive, and there is no easy way to commute via public transportation.

For some reason, this year there are TONS of openings in the northern suburb school districts. I'm guessing because of retirements. There have been only one or two positions posted in the high-performing schools in my area. So, out of desperation and the desire to have a better teaching experience, I've applied to numerous teaching positions in the northern suburbs. The problem is: the closest one is a 45 minute drive from my home. I recently received an offer for an interview with another one of the school districts to which I applied. This one is about an hour drive each way. I'm excited and I'm doing my best to prepare for the interview. IF I'm offered the job and accept it, I'll have a better work life. But, the trade-off is a daily commute of two hours. I think it's worth it. Am I being naive? I'm also hoping to hear from other schools within the next month before the school year ends.

I'm sure that some of you might ask: Why not just move? Unfortunately, it's not that simple. I am blessed enough to have two grandparents still living, however, both are in poor health. I help to care for them, along with my parents. Moving an hour away would be very difficult for all in involved. On top this, I also help to care for my parents, who are also dealing with their own health issues. So, being as close to them as I am right now is a necessity. As of now, my only options are to commute or to try working in a private school. The problem with the latter option is the severe pay-cut, which I cannot afford to take. So really, commuting seems to be my only way out.

Is anyone currently commuting a long distance to a teaching job? If so, is it worth it for you? What are the pros/cons? What else should I take into consideration before deciding to commute?

PeaceLoveRun

How far?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long is the commute? My first teaching job, I commuted 1.5 hours one way and within 2 months, I had relocated to live closer. Then my last teaching job, I commuted about 45 minutes one way. I hated it. What I hated was that I had to drive through the city center at rush hour traffic twice a day. The drive itself is not bad at off traffic times. When it's off traffic time, it's only about a 30 minute drive. The fog was always bad, as the school was in the country. I personally don't think commuting is that bad. Where I live, there is always a commute, the city is big and traffic stinks. I think the conditions of the commute is what matters. It is nice to have some decompress time between school and home though.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I currently commute about an hour one way. I love my job, so the commute is worth it! I've had jobs with much less of a commute but hated where I worked. It's a trade off.
puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

25 miles each way
Old 04-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Depending on the time of day, weather, traffic conditions, my commute varies from 30 minutes to an hour each way. I've been doing it for 30 years, and I don't mind mist days. Heavy traffic tiring, but my school is worth it.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

jteachnyc2016

I understand
Old 05-14-2017, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel like commute is one of the major reasons why I am seeking to leave my school. My commute is about an hour and I have to get up really early to make sure im there on time. And I don't 100% love where I work but I will miss my administration because they are fair and nice. But Its about that time that I leave the commute and other things is really taking its toll. I've been applying to other school districts praying for a better environment.

jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote