Help

Career Decisions

Alternative Careers

>

Bcteach

Alternative Careers
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone. I have been teaching middle school English in Michigan for the past 14 years. I love my students, but I am beginning to feel burnt out for a couple of reasons. I feel so unappreciated by my community and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do the things that I want to do for my family with the money I am making. The stress to money ratio is way out of whack. We should be making a heck of a lot more money for the stress we deal with on a daily basis.

Now that I'm done venting, my question is, what other careers are out there that I could do with my education (Bachelors in El Ed and Masters in Educational Leadership)? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bcteach; 04-07-2017 at 07:18 AM..
Bcteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Depends on your interests and goals
Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are a bunch of careers that hire people with teaching degrees. It all depends on your transferable skills you have and interests. I recommend thinking about what skills you do have and what you like then start researching careers you are interested in.

I know plenty of teachers on here that have left teaching and gone into careers in nursing, business, and much more. Some require going back to school while others might not so it depends on your interests and most importantly if you are willing to go back to school. The school option is often an important factor for teachers leaving education since it does require time, money, and commitment.

A great career area I always recommend is tech. Tech is a growing career field with tons of positions in this career opening up in the future. Tech is so broad and diverse that there are people from all different backgrounds that hold tech jobs. I know plenty of teachers who left teaching and got into tech. A few are now important people in tech who work at companies like LinkedIn and Github while other start their own companies.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Bcteach

Old 04-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for the response. I am not thrilled about the idea of going back to school. I'm not sure my family and I could absorb the cost at this time.

I do like the tech idea. Definitely something to think about. I'm jusing at the point now where I'm not sure if the stress of teaching is worth it anymore. I'd even be willing tare a pay cut if it meant less stress.

Last edited by Bcteach; 04-08-2017 at 01:46 PM..

BritishPanda

I understand
Old 04-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was in your shoes too so I understand how you (and many others) are feeling right now. I agree with the back to school part. I was considering it and my family initially pushing me to go that route. However going back to school isn't going to solve all my problems and I felt going back to school was just going to add more student loan debt I already have. Initially it was tempting, but I decided against it. If I was 100% positive about the career path I wanted to take, I'd probably go back to school and deal with the debt later.

When you get some free time, I would take some time to do some soul searching and think about what you want but more importantly what you are looking for. Knowing that is going to help you know what careers you need to explore. One of the resources that helped me was What Color is Your Parachute? This book is published every year with updated content and advice, but the author uses the flower exercise to help you figure out all the important information you need before you start doing research on careers.

As for the tech, feel free to try it. Coding is one of the red hot skills right now so there are tons of resources available with most being free. I suggest trying some of the games and activities for the Hour of Code (go to code.org or google it. They have lots of games for the Hour of Code) since these games teach some of the coding basics in an hour. The Hour of Code resources a great easy free way to get a feel for how coding is. If you want more resources, let me know and I can recommend a few other ones.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Fed up...
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wish there were more specific suggestions on this thread.

I'm totally done with this profession but I cannot take a pay cut...it's so frustrating!

Last edited by crystalina; 04-10-2017 at 02:10 PM..
crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Bcteach

I get it
Old 04-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is frustrating. The tough part for me, is that when I started out in this profession there was a certain amount of dignity and respect that came with being a teacher. That made the money a little easier to tolerate. But now, I feel like I'm being paid half of what I'm worth and being told by the media and my community that I deserve even less. I love teaching. I hate the way we are treated. I'm just ready to try something else. There has to be something else that can be done with as much education as we have.

basketball777

Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've considered 911 dispatcher and HR.... Other careers that interest me don't pay enough as a single mom....I've thought of social work & library stuff or museum stuff.

So I can't think of anything either!....im bad at tech

I know someone who worked for State Farm instead of going into teaching...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

jteachnyc2016

been thinking too
Old 05-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just finished completing my masters in early childhood special ed. I was thinking should I take a break from the classroom and do early intervention or be a seit. Of course It will be a big pay cut. In my mind I was thinking I could work part time as a seit and almost take a part time job in another industry. But thats really far out lol. Idk what to do with my life. Going back to school is not for me. (At least not right now since I just finished) I'm entirely stressed out and I have been teaching less then 5 years. A part of me is like suck it up it gets better, and another part of me is like I can' t deal with the workload, politics, kids and adults. Its been an emotional roller coaster and honestly Ive never been this emotional in my life. Even when I taught in daycare lol I was much more calmer.

Its crazy because it seems like there is a teacher shortage but a lot of people are switching their careers or just getting to teaching because its the most in demand. I always hear people around me trying to find jobs and they always seem to lean towards going back to school and getting a teaching degree.

But sorry for my mini-vent lol. I do hear where your coming from. If you don't mind going back to school and getting into another industry I'd say go for it.
jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote