Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Decision to make- need advice!

>

Nanny

Decision to make- need advice!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently teaching 3rd grade and have taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 1 year in 5th. There is is currently an opening in 6th grade for a language arts teacher. I don't know if this is reading, writing, and English and spelling or all but reading or just reading. If you are a 6th grade teacher, can you tell me about 6th graders? Is the discipline difficult? I feel sure this will be two classes switching with the math teacher. I am in Texas so this would involve the STARR test. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Nanny; 05-17-2017 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Different
Old 05-24-2017, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've taught all grade levels in various roles. I think ms is the most difficult, but the most interesting. Will kids trying on a new attitude and talking back drive you insane? Will you be able to deal with some budding romances and all kinds of drama? I mostly have taught 7 and 8th and think 6th is easier than them because the students still aren't completely in "attitude" mode. It's never dull, but there are going to be bumpy days where you feel like they all lost their minds. Things seem to be getting worse because the kids are getting more into social media and really strange stuff on YouTube.

We do language arts which is everything. We no longer specifically teach spelling and grammar in isolation. Everything is supposed to be "integrated" now. So we do speaking, listening, reading, and writing as much as possible, but there is never enough time.

I feel like our real focus in ms is on behavior and trying to get students to get along and not be completely wild. I don't know anything about the STARR test or how it is different from our state testing. I would think that any elementary teacher could adapt to 6th. Our 6th grade teachers do "baby" kids a great deal when they come to middle school.
Mshope is online now   Reply With Quote

Nanny

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for your thoughts and comments! I really appreciate it!
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote