First Grade

Readygen/CKLA

>

RobinK

RobinK

Readygen/CKLA
Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a first grade teacher for 20 years. Our school is looking to replace our 2008 Reading Street next year. Has anyone taught with Readygen or CKLA? When I checked edreports.org they gave these two programs the highest ratings. What are the pros and cons?

MrsWok

Old 05-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I absolutely HATED CKLA. There were way too many worksheets involved. I haven't heard of Readygen but would really advise against CKLA. It was developmentally appropriate and I didn't feel like it helped my students grow as readers.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

woodstocktchr

ReadyGen (2nd Grade)
Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This was my first year of our Ready Gen adoption. The text is quite challenging as are the unit assessments. There are 6 units (each with 2 modules) for first and second grade. Each module has a writing PBA at the end, and each unit has an End of Unit assessment. These assessments are very similar to the PARCC (not a surprise since Pearson is the publisher).

I do feel that my students have benefited from the exposure to rigorous mentor texts, and they have enjoyed the various selections. In my opinion, the writing component is weak. We previously used Being a Writer, which I enjoyed much more and seemed to produce better student authors.

I am looking forward to my second year with the program. Now that I taught the program with fidelity the first year, I have a better idea of what needs to be enhanced and which lessons could be consolidated.
woodstocktchr is offline   Reply With Quote

sandyone

CKLA- Just say no
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is hands down the worst program I have ever used. Too many worksheets, boring stories, too much grammar and very little phonics. I used to love to teach reading but this program has sucked all of that joy out of me. You can check out all the materials at Engage NY. Or as we like to call it disengage. We use it because it's free. Horrible!
sandyone is offline   Reply With Quote