Fifth Grade

gr 5 reader/writer workshop

>

leeemma

gr 5 reader/writer workshop
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I have moved from gr 1 to gr 5. I'm not sure where to begin for teaching reader's and writer's workshop. When I was in primary, I did a lot of mini lessons and used picture books to model. What would you suggest to use for grade 5? Do you do literature circles? Does lit circles take over rw and ww? Any book recommendations for lit circles ? Are there any books/blogs you would recommend I look at to get ideas for lessons? Also, any thoughts on class management or things I should know about gr 5? At this age what is best way to let parents know about learning? I was going to give a monthly newsletter with breakdown of each week/subject. Thanks!

leeemma is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 05-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! You are packing in the question in your post, but I will do my best to answer you.

It sounds like you are not shackled to a curriculum, you are comfortable with readers' and writers' workshop, and you are also comfortable with using mentor texts to teach reading and writing.

As far as writing, using mentor texts is something I definitely use as a 5th grade teacher. Our year is divided up into: narrative, informational, and and opinion. Some professional resources I use would be the book "Mentor Texts" by Lynne Dorfman & Rose Capelli. There is also a non-fiction version of this by the same authors. I also would look into Ralph Fletcher, who wrote "Craft Lessons" and a non-fiction version as well. He has also written a new book about mentor texts as well, but I haven't read it yet. He has written some pretty awesome books for kids about writing, too. I love his book "A Writers' Notebook," and read quite a bit of it aloud to my 5th graders. In addition, he has a really nice kit called "Lessons for the Writers Notebook." As far as opinion writing, Capstone has worked with Tony Stead to put out some mentor texts for opinion pieces called "What's Your Point?" I have used the texts and they really give the students something to strive for when writing their pieces. Another resource for mentor texts is: http://corbettharrison.com/mentortext.html

As far as reading, I would say, no, lit circles do not take over. Again, my year is broken up into studying book clubs, non-fiction, debatable issues, and fantasy. If you are interested in lit circles, I would look to Harvey Daniels. He has a newer book about Inquiry Circles. For book clubs, I like to stick to short stories at first. Some great short stories can be found in "Every Living Thing" by Cynthia Rylant and "My Life in Dog Years" by Gary Paulsen. Some other great short stories are written by Eve Bunting like "Fly Away Home," "The Memory String," and "One Green Apple." Other short stories I have used are "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros, "Fireflies" by Julie Brinkloe, "Westlandia" by Paul Fleischman, "Fox" by Margaret Wild, "Peter's Chair" by Erza Jack Keats, "Gloria Who Might Be My Best Friend" by Ann Cameron, and "Those Shoes" by Maribeth Boelts. Many people would recommend reading "The Daily 5" or "The Cafe Book," and some might recommend reading "The Book Whisperer," but I would really start with "Strategies that Work" by Stephanie Harvey. Here is a link to the basic ideas from "Strategies that Work" http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/lite...trategies.html

As far as a blog: this one is my favorite http://tworeflectiveteachers.blogspot.com/

As far as management, I would think about (5th grade still needs A TON of modeling- looks like/sounds like):
1. Setting goals
2. Stretching stamina
3. Keeping track of writing or reading/books you want to read
4. How to shop for books/where to keep books/writing materials
5. How to work with a partner
6. routines for opening, mini-lesson, sending students off to work, independent work time, and closing routine/share

And for your last question, I do give a newsletter, but my parents really like Remind, so you may want to look into that.

Good Luck!
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

leeemma

gr 5 r and w
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I clicked on the link for busyteacherscafe but it doesn't seem to work! Is it just me or is the website no longer available?

Thanks!
leeemma is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I see that many of the links no longer work! That's a bummer!

Try this site instead, it appears to have more links that work:

http://reading.ecb.org/teacher/resources.html
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote